I’m a open source development toolkit for
building and optimizing complex browser-
Let me introduce myself
My complete name is Google Web Toolkit or
GWT Web Toolkit if you like
I’m 8 years old..
GWT 1.0 - May 17, 2006
but have still good relations
My home is http://www.gwtproject.org/
I speak Java
In my circle of friends: all browsers and 100K developers
The Future of GWT Report 2013
Main GWT components
• JRE emulation library
• GWT Development Mode
• GWT Web UI class library
• It uses Java (strong typing)
• Learning curve
• Reuse of server logic
• GWT’s built-in protocol to transfer data between the client and the server
without any additional knowledge of how the data is packaged and sent
• IDE and development tools support: refactor, debug, code navigation, unit
• Handle the browser compatibility and I18N
• The GWT compiler optimizes the generated code, removes dead code
• “Easy” to maintain large project
• To summarize: highly responsive web applications with heavy lifting on
the client-side and reduced chattiness with the server-side
• Workofﬂine, stateless server, high number of users
• Open source and developed by a community
• Works very well with Google App Engine.
• It uses Java -> ceremony code
• but GWT 3.0 will use Java 8.0
• It uses Java, something front end developers don’t
• More code to create UI
• but you can use UIBinder
• Yes, but it’s another abstraction over HTML
• Long compilation time
• but you can use Dev Mode
• but is going deprecated since depends on browsers/is slow
• but there’s SuperDev Mode
• Too much work even when functionality is simple - include existing JS also
• but GWT is typically used on complex applications
• Quality and number of widget
• but look at GWT Nextgen JsInterop & Web Components Demo: https://
• Errai framework: http://erraiframework.org/
• GWTP: GWT-Platform
• SmartGWT (SmartClient)
• Sencha GXT (Ext JS look and feel)
• Vaadin: GWT used as engine but JSF like approach, only server side logic
• Vaadin 7.0 will be a superset of GWT
• Useful link: https://vaadin.com/comparison (also with jQuery, RichFaces an
• Does GWT use jQuery? How?
• Is Gmail built on Google Web Toolkit?
• No, it’s a “urban legend”, but Google Sheet is
• Is it possible to integrate AngularJS with GWT ?
• Yes, take a look at https://github.com/cromwellian/angulargwt
• GWT is no more under Google umbrella, is GWT dead?
• No, 2.7 & 3.0 will be released soon (and take a look to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj93jlfYi5c for
the future of GWT)
• Where can I ﬁnd some examples to try?
• http://www.gwtproject.org/examples.html (look at Showcase!)
• When is GWT appropriate, when is AngularJS appropriate?