Change 3.0: Facilitate change from
within the system
'I say so, so you
will do it'
'If they understand it,
they will do it. Support
from people is necessary'
'The entire system plays a
part, in which each
person's "reality" deﬁnes
Some assumptions behind Change 3.0
• Change is only change when (natural) behaviour has
• Culture doesn’t lead to behaviour, but behaviour
leads to culture
• (Natural) behaviour is a result of underlying
perceptions of reality
• ‘Resistance’, failure etc. = information
• and many more…
• Helping others realise their desired change: as a system as a whole, not just
• The process does more though….
So maybe we have another agenda as well, such as:
• Creating more antifragile organisations: growing from what’s tricky, diversity –
becoming a ‘better’ organisation
• Taking people within & around the organisation seriously
• Making things easier, simplifying by taking away the ‘mess’
What’s our agenda?
Apart from Clean Language, it actively makes use of (just to name a few):
Similarities & differences to other approaches
• Exploring & connecting
• Emergent knowledge
• Focus on behaviour & spreading this
• Conviction change can be easy
• Expliciting assumptions
• Translating big ideas into concrete
• Experimenting & learning
• We don’t (necessarily) teach the process
• More ‘dirty’ elements?
• Deeper into where behaviour comes
• ’Cleaner’ (no ‘installing’ behaviours etc)
• Topics are often broader & more
complicated/vague, it needs more than
• Not as thorough on hypothesis etc.
• That’s up to you to decide. Discuss:
a. Why should leaders not choose for an approach like this?
b. Why could they not do anything other than choosing this kind of approach?
1. Be prepared to take time to develop your Desired Outcome
2. Be OK with not knowing the end result in detail beforehand
3. You need to allow for everything that is of influence on your Desired
Outcome needs to be addressed (no sacred cows)
4. It will also require something from you as a sponsor: are you willing to
change yourself as well?
What does it require from clients
– 4 requirements: