The internet was started by the US Government in 1958 with the signing
of the ARPA policy, meant to facilitate research, in 1962 ARPANET was
introduced and in 1983 NSFNET was introduced and in 1995 the World
wide web was introduced taking the internet to a global audience with an
estimated 3.2 billion users as stated in science.org. The first users accessed
the internet through large and complex devices, but today the internet
has become a thing of necessity rather than convince.
The image on the side clearly shows the history of the internet from 1962
to present as indicated on the internet.org website
Access to the
The first image shows
how people get unto
the internet in the first
place from he creation
of the internet project,
then to using google
and all others.
Image two shows the
percentage of internet
users per country and
in the UK as of 2016
over 92% of people had
access to the internet
while in India only
about 28% of the
population can access
The last image shows
the total number of
people who use the
internet and though
what avenues they
access the internet, so
far it is estimated that
almost 4billion people
have access to the
internet according to
Digital Devices used by audiences
• Digital devices have continued to evolve over
the years, in the 90s most digital devices
were fixed like desk top computers and
televisions, as of today in 2018, the scope of
digital devices used has broaden to include
mobile phones, laptops, games, tablets,
watches, as well as wearable devices.
• Today Virtual reality and augmented digital
devices are in advanced stages of
production. We have now also seen VR
glasses and other artificial intelligent devices
How customers search for
• In making decisions today, customers have loads of information at
their disposal as such they do a lot of research before making
• Most customers visit review websites, comparison websites, as well
as use search engines like google, bing, badu etc to get information
on products they desire.
• Image one shows us the more traditional sources of information like
search engines, traditional media as well as social and owned media
while image two shows us how consumers have changed due to
availability of information and their desire to get the best value for
the price they pay as such they go to company websites, online
news sites, review sites, wikis etc.
What consumers buy online
• Today, consumers buy all kinds of products
and services online. The first image shows us
the various categories of consumer purchases,
ranging from entertainment and leisure,
reading materials, fashion to automotive.
• The second image shows us the percentage of
most products bought online, with books
coming at 53% of all online purchases as of
2016 and auto parts ranking among the least
Source: Roy Morgan Single Source (Australia), January 2014-December 2014 (n=15,944)
Online video consumption
• The amount of video consumption has noticeably increased over the years
due to innovations in technology. During the baby boomer years video
consumption was very traditionally reserved for the television, or VHS
players, today millennials consumer video in different proportions, using
various devices like smart phones, tablets, watches, laptops, PCs, TV etc.
• Image one shows us that in 2017 over 33% of video consumption was on
mobile devices while on fixed devices like TV or PC was just 13% showing a
shift toward more convenient ways of video consumption.
• Image two shows us what type of videos consumers, consumed according to
their age categories, as we see TV shows, user generated content, movies
were among the most consumed videos while web videos across all ages
were among the least. As seen on statista.com.
• Consumer trends continue to shift to reflect the rapid
innovations in technology, in the 90s the trends were web
based, and in the 2000s they were mobile based, today trends
are geared towards artificial intelligence as well as the
application of blockchain technologies in the finance industry.
• Image one shows trends in 2018 with the emergence of AI
everywhere compared to image two that shows trends in 2017
where augmented hearing, social tracking, uncanny
communication as well as bodily interface.
• To conclude, we have seen in the evolution of the internet that it all started as a government project for the sharing of
information, however later on it was made available to the wider audience by the establishment of the internet and
the world wide web. Then the creation of the dot come ventures brought in search engines such as google and yahoo
through which people could now easily obtain information and make wider purchasing decisions.
• The evolution of digital devices also meant consumers became increasingly exposed to information in making
purchasing decisions using devices such as laptops, desktops, smart phones as well as televisions. To get the best value
consumers in searching for information use comparison websites, company websites as well as review sites among
• Today consumers consume information various ways with video consumption being among the most convenient, and
they consume such through mobile devices and others with TV shoes and movies as well as user created content
among the most consumed.
• However the trends of consumptions keep changing, from web based, to mobile and fast moving towards virtual
reality and artificial intelligence.
• As marketers therefore, it is our job to keep abress with these trends so as to offer the best value and service to our
consumers, customers and clients.