Assignment of communication
Assignment on the topics:
2).Types of listening.
Name : Gavaniya Dixit K.
Branch : I.T.
Semester : 1st.
Year : 2016-'17.
Enrollment number :
Guided by : C.N.Trivedi sir &
Listening Skill :
• The first skill of the language is : Listening.
• * By Definition we can say...:
• "Listening is a process of receiving, integrating and
reacting to the message received from communication
• * Listening is one of the most important skill.
• * How we listen has a major impact on our job
• effectiveness and on quality of our relationship
• With others...
There are basically some kind of activities for
which we listen..
I.We listen to obtain information.
II.We listen to understand.
III.We listen to enjoyment.
IV.We listen to learn.
Listening is a skill that we can all benefit from
" Active listening makes a better listener..".
* This is where you make a conscious effect to
hear not only the words that another person is
speaking, but more importantly to try and
comprehend the total message being sent....
* For this we should have to became an active
listener..and for being an active listener we
should have to decline the skill of an active
* So further we are going to discuss about an active
Any act of Listening followed by appropriate
Active listening has various purposes:
I.Listening to comprehend. e.g.Training.
II.Listening to judge and evaluate.
III.Listening to build trust and rapport.
IV.Listening for recreation.e.g.FM Radio/TV shows.
* Same as active listening there is also a passive
There is an activity which is the exact opposite
of the active listening is passive listening.
* By definition we can say that.....
" Listening done without making much effort
to understand the message or responding
without an appropriate manner can be
termed as passive listening... "
* An effective listener can also understood the
message which has been sent...
* So we should have to try to become an
" An active listener can develop the quality of
an effective listening.."
* Now we are going to discuss about the
Qualities of Effective/Good
* There are some basic qualities to become
the good /effective listener :
I. A good listener shows interest in what is
II. A good listener provides feedback to the
III. A good listener shuns distracting actions
IV. A good listener asks questions, without
disrupting speaker, to clarify doubts and
and assures the speaker that she/he is
being lestened to.
V. A good listener makes an eye-contact and
gives positive non-verbal signals like head
nods and appropriate facial expressions.
VI. A good listener makes an effort to understand
what the speaker is trying to convey that what
she / he wishes to understand.
* So this are the basically qualities of the good /
an effective listener..
Types of Listening.. :
* The receiver should carefully listen to the
message to feel the pulse of the sender,
to understand more and reaction, which
allows freedom of expression to the speaker.
* Different situations require different types of
* Now we are going to discuss about the every
type of the listening..
Appreciative listening includes listening to
music for enjoyment, two speakers because
you like their styles,good choice in theatre,
radio or films.
* Informative listening is named we give to the
situation where the listeners primary concern
is to understand the message..
For an example.: we listen to lectures or
instructions from teachers and what we learn
depends on how we listen to them.
* Effective listening is paying attention to
other person with empathy.
* An excellent technique to help one to do this
is called active listening..
* The final type of the listening is called the
* By being sensitive to change the speaker's
rate,volume, force,pitch,and meaning of
difference in meaning..
Barriers of an effective
* There are some barriers of Listening as below..
* By improving awareness of this barriers can
help the listener to avoid the effects from
• These are the barriers of an effective listening..:
• I. Physical barriers.
• II.Physiological barriers.
• III.Linguistic barriers.
• IV.Cultural barriers.
• 1.It is an unconscious
• and involuntary act.
• 2.It is an act of the
• receiving sounds.
• 3.It does not
• anticipate any
• 4.There is no purpose.
• 1.It is conscious and
• voluntary act.
• 2.It aims at making
• sense of receiving
• 3.It makes accuracy
• in understanding.
• 4.It is done with a
Difference between Hearing
References : I).Communication skills by : shreya thakur..
II).General and technical communication by : papul