• Through focused Pioneering Research, our professional
engineers can provide added value to your business
investments, suitable for today's global Urbanisation
Together we can offer tailored engineering solutions that
deliver true business value to enhance your investment.
– What have been the historical trends ?
– What are the influences on the offices of the future ?
– What are the areas to focus on ?
– How will the office of the future affect your business ?
Engineering solutions that
deliver true business value
Focus on the Future
• With the ever changing technological world, whether we
perceive it or not, we are living in the “Third Industrial
• We have achieved advancements in Technology in the
last 20 years, that took the equivalent 2nd Industrial
Revolution 200 years.
• This means that the old 20th Century engineering design
templates need to be re-written.
• New 21st Century engineering design solutions need to
be developed to suit the new global Urbanisation Trend..
“Third Industrial Revolution”
Focus on the Future
• Unfortunately due to the rapid pace of technology,
universities / industry do not have all of the
engineering answers and solutions to meet the
challenges of this changing world.
• Therefore, we have set up an in-house research
programme and developed new engineering tools
to suit our clients growing requirements.
• Being prepared for society’s future global
urbanisation trends, presents new challenges for
the engineering services engineer.
• Increased office densities and increasing power
demands, needs a new innovative approach to
understand and control the expanding power
demands within industry.
Increased office densities and
increasing power demands
Focusing on the Future
• British Council for Offices (BCO) guidelines for small
power requirements, recommends:
– 1 person per 10m2 =20 W/m2
– 1 person per 8m2 =25 W/m2
What do you apply for:
– 1 person per 5m2 =40 W/m2 ?
– 1 person per 4m2 =50 W/m2 ?
How do you apply equivalent W/m2 figures for air
Conditioning loads which are even greater?
The answer is in detailed continued engineering research.
• Is power capacity in office buildings increasing or is it
just a perception?
• We can assist in this process, through detailed in-house
research and analysis of the power density requirements
and power accessory demands for various desk
• This approach can add value to your business portfolio
by providing accurate, professional informed
engineering advice, by predicating the power density for
your building at Day 1, through our continued
professional research programme.
• Providing a new substation is not always the answer!
• We at SWECO believe in offering our clients informed,
tailored, expert engineering solutions to suit our clients:
b. Business model
c. Time scales
d. Financial budgets
Providing a new substation is
not always the answer!
• If you are thinking of purchasing a building with a greater
population density greater than 1 person per 8m2, we
can provide professional assistance, as a truly
committed business partner with our expert engineering
• We can provide detailed maximum demand load
analysis and survey reports within 24 / 48 hours of a site
survey, for your potential new investment.
• We can advise whether the existing power capacity can
support your re-development plans based upon:
– Density of people.
– Building facilities.
– Restaurant / Cafe.
– Air conditioning systems.
– Natural ventilation.
Building with a greater population
density greater than 1 person per
• Through active research and listening to our clients
business requirements, we have developed this
approach to provide added value to our clients
a. Assessment of power demands through actual load
monitoring of computers, visual display units, USB
Chargers, laptops, I Pads etc.
a. Modelling typical buildings and working out the
absorbed power demands for the air conditioning
loads, based upon population densities and desk
a. Applying various engineering techniques to
maximise power capacities for buildings and
providing simple practical solutions through our in-
house research programme.
Modelling load assessment image.
engineering techniques to
maximise power capacities
• Our focus is in fully understanding our clients business
requirements and being readily accessible and truly
committed in delivering the right solutions to meet our
clients business goals.
• We apply forward thinking engineering expertise through
our in-house research programme to deliver the
appropriate design solutions to meet our clients
business requirements / time scales.
• Above all, we listen and strive to understand our clients
key business drivers and adapt the engineering
solutions to meet our clients needs in a professional
• We recognise that each client has a unique set of
requirements and key criteria to support their business
strategy and objectives.
• Our in-house team of professional engineers can advise
on all aspects of the development and we are geared to
respond and deliver quickly, to meet our clients
changing business challenges.
The most approachable
and committed partner
with recognised expertise
Scope of Services
• Strategic Advice
a. High level site survey, to determine existing facility
meets client brief
b. Building load analysis based upon in-house
c. Risk analysis and advice
d. Assessment of services resilience
e. Sustainability and life cycle costing
f. Building audits
Scope of Services
• Specialist Capability
a. Electrical load analysis
b. Fire Strategy advice
c. Acoustic advice
d. BMS advice
e. Lift analysis
f. Lighting design
g. Audio visual advice
h. ICT / Security
i. Environmental modelling
j. Maintenance and aftercare