Garcinia cambogia is a tropical plant whose fruits are rich in hydroxycitric acid. Studies support the properties of the extract for weight loss ...
Common name: Malabar Tamarind.
- English: Citrin, Gamboge, Brindal Berry, Gorikapuli, Malabar Tamarind.
Scientific Name: Garcinia cambogia L .; G. gummi-gutta; G. quaesita.
Family: Clusiaceae or Gutíferas (Guttiferae)
Distribution: Most plants of the genus Garcinia are evergreen trees native Asia, South Africa and Polynesia.
Habitat: subtropical plant native to Indonesia, where it is known as Kokam, amsool, Goraka or kattcha puli.
Evergreen tree 4-6 m. tall, rounded crown. Entire, elliptic, glabrous. Axillary, sessile, unisexual flowers.
The fruit is like a small pumpkin orange or yellow, with 6-8 rows, whose pericarp is rich in hydroxycitric acid (HCA). Within the fruit there are six to eight seeds aryl enveloped by a delicious white.
The inner shape of the mangosteen fruit can remember (Garcinia mangostana), which belongs to the same family.
- Hydroxycitric acid (30% in the cortex) is structurally similar to the citric acid found in citrus fruits. It is found in greater amounts in the bark of the fruit, which is dried to be used as a condiment in curries. Influence the metabolism giving satiety and suppressing the synthesis of body fat. These features have made it a unique weight loss supplement (English: Hydroxycitric acid or HCA).
- Garcinol (potent anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer), succinic acid (antibacterial), tartaric acid (antioxidant)
- The resin contains camboginol and cambogin. This the gamboge, is prepared with purgative properties. (It can also be obtained from other plants of the genus Garcinia).
USES OF PLANT
- Food: The rind of the fruit, which is very acidic, dried and consumed as a condiment in many curries of Southeast Asian countries. In Sri Lanka it is used to marinate fish (Colombo curing). Sometimes it gets to dishes as a substitute for tamarind.
It can also be used to obtain Kokam butter (butter obtained from the seeds of fruit), which is a substitute of ghee.
- Supplement: sold in capsules or tablets. It consists of dried fruit shell with a minimum of 50% HCA wealth. It is anorectic, indicated for obesity, appetite control, weight loss diets, high triglycerides and high cholesterol. Dosage according Container: approx. 500 mg. 30-60 minutes before meals, up to 3 per day.
GARCINIA FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Garcinia cambogia extract.
Excess carbohydrates are converted to abdominal fat. Garcinia extract taken 30 - 60 minutes before meals, avoids this transformation and gives early satiety.
To be effective the supplement should follow a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
Garcinia cambogia is mainly used to aid weight loss by decreasing appetite.
It is an appetite suppressant that acts on the metabolism, so it has no effect on the nervous system and has no side effects.