Protection against muddy floods: perception of one protection system (fascines) for local actors in Alsace (France)
Protection against muddy floods: Perception of fascines for local actors in Alsace (France) C. Heitz, G. Flinois, S. Glatron IDRC, Davos, August 2012Pour mieuxaffirmerses missions,le Cemagrefdevient Irsteawww.irstea.fr
2 1) Muddy floods in Alsace and their management DAMAGES DUE TO MUDDY FLOODS Need to set up measures of protectionIn France: 2 kinds of measures (at different scale and cost) - collective measures : dams, land use planning, retention ponds, … Public area Private area - individual measures : reduced tillage, fascines, …
3 1) Muddy floods in Alsace and their management WHAT ARE THE FASCINES ?Small protection made with woods / Setting up directly in the fieldsand private areas Their implementation need the farmers’ agreement and dependon their willingness How do the farmers perceive this kind of measure ? SURVEYS BY USING QUESTIONNAIRES- To measure the level of knowledge (concerning the fascines) of the farmers- To identify their willingness / reluctance to set up fascines- To identify how we could improve the promotion of this system
4Example of a fascine setting up in the Bas-Rhin
5 2) Methodology of the surveys WHAT KIND OF SURVEY? WHAT KIND OF ADMINISTRATION?• 38 questions (20 minutes)• Different kind of questions (classification, speeches,…)• Pre-test evaluation (5)• April-May 2011 The concept of « risk » Muddy floods and processes How to manage the risk of muddy floods? - setting up of the fascines - maintenance - durability The fascines - cost - integration in the landscape - strains
62) Methodology of the surveysWHAT KIND OF SURVEY? WHAT KIND OF ADMINISTRATION?
72) Methodology of the surveysSTUDIED AREAS • The villages have been chosen according to their level of exposure to muddy floods risk • 5 villages (Bas-Rhin) • Ettendorf • Hohatzenheim • Brumath • Eckwersheim • Lampertheim • 41 farmers (by making an appointement) • 32 persons accepted • 5 refusals • 4 intouched persons
8 3) Results: willingness and restreints to set up fascines in the fields THE MAIN WILLINGNESS- The setting up of fascines is quick : « emergency solution »- High visibility of this measure: «… it shows that the farmers have done something, that they are involved in the management of muddy floods » confidence visibility Answer to the question : « How do you think that the inhabitants perceive the fascines setting up in the municipality? » (N= 32)
93) Results: willingness and restreints to set up fascinesin the fieldsTHE MAIN RESTREINTS - Restrictive aspects (in the way of the tractors,…) - The fascines compared with other measures The cost Important Medium Weak The maintenance Important Medium Weak Hedge/blank Hedge/blank Grass strips Grass strips Fascines Fascines Reduced tillage Reduced tillage Shared crops rotation Shared crops rotation Miscanthus Miscanthus Efficiency against risk Important Medium Weak Integration in the Important Medium Weak landscape Hedge/blank Hedge/blank Grass strips Grass strips Fascines Fascines Reduced tillage Reduced tillage Shared crops rotation Shared crops rotation Miscanthus Miscanthus Question : « Among this list of methods used to limit the risk of muddy floods, indicate the proposal which, according to you, qualifies them best? »
103) Results: willingness and restreints to set up fascinesin the fieldsTHE MAIN RESTREINTS Cost Maintenance 3 : important 2 : medium 1 : weak Efficiency Integration
113) Results: willingness and restreints to set up fascinesin the fieldsTHE MAIN RESTREINTS - The lack of information for their maintenance 23 – Concerning the maintenance of the fascines? You take care of it by our own 48% No maintenance is necessary even if they have been used 32% No maintenance is necessary because they have not been used 20% You receive assistance to maintain them 0%“We do not know who has to make it” They do not deny the necessity“For the moment, the municipality made nothing for of maintaining the fascines, BUT:their maintenance” Lack of information“I indeed want to make it but not free of charge” Fuzzy responsability“Nothing says that it is under my responsibility”
12 4) Discussion of the results and outlook– The farmers agreed to set up fascines in their fields (emergencymeasure, visibility and quickness)…– … BUT their perception of this measure is little encouraging for futuresetting-up (the fascines are binding and badly perceived compared with otheragronomic measures) BUT some biases due to the questionnaire !– There is a lack of information and communication concerning themaintenance of the fascinesOutlookThe results are interresting for the local stakeholders (Chamber ofAgriculture and Departmental authorities): How the farmers perceive the information campaigns ? And how it is possible to improve them? There are a lots of restreints in the setting up of fascines. How to remedy it?
Annexe 1 14 Les fascines parmi d’autres mesures de lutte contre les CEB 1 = faible ; 2 = moyen ; 3 = important Séminaire de restitution – GERHICO 1414 12 Décembre 2011
Annexe 2 15 Facteurs négatifs Le manque d’information et de suivi après la mise en place : l’entretien 72% 28% 0% 90% 52% 16% 0% 0% Séminaire de restitution – GERHICO 1517 12 Décembre 2011
Annexe 3 Charte d’entretien des fascines et des haies : Pas de Calais 16 Séminaire de restitution – GERHICO 12 Décembre 2011 16
Perspectives « méthodologiques » 18 L’intégration de nos données de perception dans une base de données physiques sur les fascines (cf. Guillaume Valentin)Les fascines en angle ont mieux fonctionné que les fascines droites (cf. données ‘’physiques’’)mais ce sont aussi les plus contraignantes pour les agriculteurs (cf. données ‘’perception’’) Séminaire de restitution – GERHICO 12 Décembre 2011 18
193) Results: willingness and restreints to set up fascinesin the fieldsTHE MAIN RESTREINTS- Restrictive aspects (in the way of the tractors,…) Straight line – Right angle – Side of the plot Side of the plot Straight line – Right angle – Middle of the plot Near the habitation Straight line – Near the habitation What is the shape and the position of the fascine? Is the fascine restrictive?