Health Considerations in the Restoration of Large Carnivore Populations in Sweden
- Health Considerations in
the Restoration of Large
Carnivore Populations in
Camilla Sandström, Associate professor, Department of Political Science, Umeå University, Sweden
Multiple One Health Perspectives on Protected Areas, Nature Conservation, and Human-Animal Connections
2nd Global Risk Forum One Health Summit, 17-20 November, 2013,
Large Carnivore Conservation in Sweden
A success story?
Photos: Wikimedia Commons ; Camilla Sandström
Attitudes towards wolves
Like to have wolfes in Sweden
• Stable - but a potential break and klyfta stad och land
55 % of the
Swedes like to
have Wolves in
20 % decrease
Rural – urban
Sámi – indigenous population in four countries
Usufructuary rights to land
Reindeer husbandry – transhumance/way of life
• In Sweden ca 250 000 reindeers
• Predation between 8-33 %
• Slaughter 25 % 2011/2012
• Reindeer herding communites on the edge of collapse
Source: SOU 2012:22
Risk analysis among reindeer herders
• Increased cost due to more intensive herding
• Lowered production due to increased predation
Economic • Lowered income
• Increased workload
• Increased risk of injuries (cold burns/cold trauma)
• Haressments from animal rights groups
• Racism and neocolonial attitudes
• Lack of confidence in authorithies
• Powerlessness, frustration, anxiety, insecurity, feelings of inadequacy
• Lower health related quality of life (HRQL)
• Higher exposure to both suicide and suicidal behaviour compared to other groups in the area
• Urgent need for an an integrated
(socio-ecologial) governance and
management approach at
• Collaborative approaches
• Adaptive management
• Tolerance levels
Thanks for your attention!
Kaiser, N. 2011, Mental Health problems among the
Swedish reindeer-herding Sami population. PhD Thesis
Omma, L. 2013. Ung same i Sverige.
Livsvillkor, självvärdering och hälsa.
SEPA & Gesbygdsmedicin. 2013. Risk analys
SOU 2012: 22
Ericsson, G., Sandström, C., Kagervall, A. & Johansson, M .
2013. Attityder till rovdjur och rovdjursförvaltning.
Rapport 2013: 1 Institutionen för vilt, fisk och miljö, SLU.