Webinar topic: Quality Of Service on Mikrotik
Presenter: Achmad Mardiansyah
In this webinar series, We are discussing Quality Of Service on Mikrotik
Please share your feedback or webinar ideas here: http://bit.ly/glcfeedback
Check our schedule for future events: https://www.glcnetworks.com/schedule/
Follow our social media for updates: Facebook, Instagram, YouTube Channel, and telegram
The recording is available on Youtube
What is GLC?
● Garda Lintas Cakrawala (www.glcnetworks.com)
● Based in Bandung, Indonesia
● Areas: Training, IT Consulting
● Certified partner for: Mikrotik, Ubiquity, Linux foundation
● Product: GLC radius manager
● Regular event
● Name: Achmad Mardiansyah
● Base: bandung, Indonesia
● Linux user since 1999, mikrotik user since 2007, UBNT
● Mikrotik Certified Trainer
● Mikrotik/Linux Certified Consultant
● Website contributor: achmadjournal.com, mikrotik.tips,
● More info:
● 2020 (Congo DRC, Malaysia): IOT integration,
● 2019, Congo (DRC): build a wireless ISP from
● 2018, Malaysia: network revamp, develop billing
solution and integration, setup dynamic routing
● 2017, Libya (north africa): remote wireless migration
for a new Wireless ISP
● 2016, United Kingdom: workshop for wireless ISP,
migrating a bridged to routed network
● 2015, West Kalimantan: supporting wireless
About GLC webinar?
● First webinar: january 1, 2010 (title:
tahun baru bersama solaris - new year
with solaris OS)
● As a sharing event with various topics:
linux, networking, wireless, database,
● Regular schedule
● Irregular schedule: as needed
● Checking schedule:
● You are invited to be a presenter
○ No need to be an expert
○ This is a forum for sharing: knowledge,
Please introduce yourself
● Your name
● Your company/university?
● Your networking experience?
● Your mikrotik experience?
● Your expectation from this course?
What is QOS
● Quality of service (QoS)
● description or measurement of the overall performance of a service, such as a
telephony or computer network or a cloud computing service, particularly the
performance seen by the users of the network
When you don’t need QoS?
● You have enough bandwidth for your consumption
● No complain from customers
● You are welcome to quit this webinar
Do you need QoS?
● When you available bandwidth < consumption
constant vs bursty traffic
● Steady traffic
○ Always consume fixed traffic
○ Example: voip, streaming, file
● Bursty traffic
○ Only consume traffic when its
○ Example: browsing,
What will QoS do
● Setup limitation
○ Min-guaranteed limit
● Setup priority
How to measure QoS?
● Depends on the applications
● Some common parameters
○ packet loss
○ Latency (roundtrip time)
○ Jitter (variance of latency)
QOS or QOE?
● QOE: Quality Of Experience
○ The degree of delight or annoyance of the user of an application or service
○ Reference: ITU (https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-P.10)
● QOE factors:
Is QoS end-to-end?
● Internet is a collection of networks
● Can you guarantee end-to-end QoS?
Your ISP. and you
are part of them
Where the packets
Bandwidth management mechanism
Mikrotik uses Hierarchical Token Bucket (HTB) algorithm for managing the
queue: to define the limit of datarate
● FIFO (first in first out)
● RED (Random Early Detection)
● SFQ (Stochastic Fair-share Queue)
● PCQ (Per-Connection Queue)
Queue size: discard vs delay (limiting vs equalizing)
Rate limiting Rate equalizing
Mechanism discard packets that exceed a
delay packets that exceed a
limit if possible
Queue size (buffer) 0 > 0
Interested? Just come to our training...
● Topics are arranged in systematic and logical way
● You will learn from experienced teacher
● Not only learn the materials, but also sharing experiences, best-practices, and
End of slides
● Thank you for your attention
● Please submit your feedback: http://bit.ly/glcfeedback
● Like our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/glcnetworks
● Slide: http://www.slideshare.net/r41nbuw
● Recording (youtube): https://goo.gl/28ABHU
● Stay tune with our schedule
● Any questions?