• Simulation is the imitation of the operation of a real-
world process or system over time. The act of simulating
something first requires that a model be developed; this
model represents the key characteristics or
behaviours/functions of the selected physical or abstract
system or process. The model represents the system itself,
whereas the simulation represents the operation of the
system over time.
• Aces High is a large scale, persistent online battlefield that is focused primarily in
World War 2 aircraft.
• The player interacts with the game through a first person view from the cockpit
where they use all the controls of their aircraft.
• The game does not use any form of tech tree or research branch for the aircraft.
Rather the player has access to all aircraft right off the bat; while rare or more
special aircraft must be bought with “perk points.” Players earn perk points
through shooting down other players or bombing important targets.
• The game features 3 teams base on chess pieces, Rooks, Knights and Bishops
who are all in control of an equal amount of territory at the start of the map. A
teams goal is to take 20% of each other the other nations bases while retaining
80% of their own.
• The battles are continuous for 24 hours a day for a week. If no team has won after
a week, the game ends and the next map is loaded.
• Arma 3 is a large scale, infantry focused simulation that is set in the
near future on the fictional Mediterranean islands of Stratis and Altis.
• The player interacts with the world through the eyes of a generic
soldiers in the multiplayer.
• The game features a campaign story line which is also from the first
person view of Corporal Ben Kerry. The story is for the most part
very linear with set outcomes for each mission. With the story split
into three acts, the only non linear part of the story is the final
mission in act 3 which leads to 3 possible endings.
• Most of the narration comes from other characters that explain what
is going on or what has happened, leaving the player to think about
• The characters tend to be very positive with the game
leaving out any social bias towards characters.
• The game is very typical in the fact that it is very “Good
guy America” along with “Bad guy Russians” with
Russians invading the islands causing NATO to step in to
prevent the murder of civilians by Russian CSAT forces.
• SimCity 4 is a city-building/urban planning simulation
computer game. The game allows players to create a region of
land by terraforming, and then to design and build a settlement
which can grow into a city. Players can zone different areas of
land as commercial, industrial, or residential development, as
well as build and maintain public services, transport and
utilities. For the success of a city, players must manage its
finances, environment, and quality of life for its residents.
• The game doesn’t feature any story or narrative and interaction
with the world is done purely through the user interface on the
edges of the screen.
Comparison – Audience
• The audience’s that all 3 games are significantly different
from each other. Aces High is designed to appeal to only
the most enthusiastic flight simulator fans due to the steep
learning curve. Arma 3 on the other hand, while being a
hardcore military simulator is much more accessible and
is targeted at those aged 16+. SimCity meanwhile can be
played by people of all ages but requires good
management skills of both resources and finance as the
game values efficiency. Something that would be difficult
for a younger person.
Comparison – Interaction
• SimCity and Arma 3 are the simplest out of the 3 to
interact with. The core mechanics and basic of the game
can be picked up in under an hour and only require a
mouse and keyboard to play. Aces High on the other hand
requires a monetary investment for a flight stick and
throttle while also requiring a large amount of time
reading previous to pick up the basics of flight. Having a
basic understanding of the instruments and controls,
along with how they affect the aircraft is critical.
Comparison – Themes
• Arma 3 and Aces High have the most similar themes out
of the three with both being combat orientated. However,
Arma 3 is set in the year 2030 with Aces High set around
1939 – 1945. Aces High is also focused primarily on the
Aircraft of the time, while Arma 3 is focused on the
infantry of the future.
• SimCity is the odd one out in this regard as it is a game
based purely around the management and development of
a city and it’s infrastructure.
Comparison – Genre
• The production technology of the games is similar between all
3 in some regards but for the vast majority is very different. All
3 are made and displayed in 3D with varying degrees of detail
in each of them.
• Out of the three, SimCity and Arma 3 both have similar
distribution methods. Both are available as a physical copy or
digital download for a one time payment. Aces High on the
other hand uses a digital download only distribution method
that requires regular monthly payments.
• Arma 3 and Aces High are both more focused on detail in
comparison to SimCity. With Arma 3 the detail is in the terrain
and weapons while in Aces High the detail is in the Aircraft.
Comparison – Gameplay
• Of the three, Arma 3 and Aces High are both focused on
combat while SimCity is more about management an
development. Arma 3 has a primary focus on infantry but
also has a few aircraft and armoured vehicles; while Aces
High is focused on WW2 aircraft but also has a few
• SimCity features dynamic events and problems to
surprise the player, a feature that is shared in Arma 3.
Aces High on the other hand is continuous and dynamic
without a set goal or objective unlike the other two.
Comparison – Narrative
• Out of the three games, only Arma 3 features any form of
narrative. SimCity gives advisors to let the player know
of problems in an area but are designed to give advice
rather than develop a story.
• Aces High is a multiplayer only game and feature no
story or narrative. It is up to the player make a story out
of it if they wish.
• Aces High is a game that is aimed at 18+, hardcore dogfighting enthusiasts and is
a very niche game. It requires both a monetary investment for a Joystick and
throttle with many optional extras along with requiring large amounts of time
learning the aircraft as each have their own characteristics. It has no tutorial and
can be very unforgiving to new players who don’t have any guidance or previous
experience with aircraft.
• It features no characters or any form of narrative and story which for other genres
may turn people away from the game.
• Arma 3 is also a 18+, hardcore game but for different reasons. While Aces High
is targeting 18+ due to the learning curve, Arma 3 is targeting 18+ due to the
nature of infantry combat and the representation of actively trying to kill. It goes
into great depth with it’s mechanic of bullet penetration and realism.
• Simcity is rated as a 3+ but to get the most out of the game and too succeed
would require the player to have good management and decision making skills so
would require a player to be 16 or older.
• This causes SimCity to have the largest potential market of all and to
appeal to a wider audience, while Arma comes second and Aces
High to have the smallest audience of them all with it being the most
• The large potential market is a positive effect on the sales of SimCity.
Alternatively, the small potential market for Aces High is a negative
effect, but due to the players all having the same interest and
generally being fewer of them, it does create a much tighter
community than any of the three games which is a positive effect.
• The lack of story or narrative in SimCity and Aces high isn’t much of
an issue with the simulation genre as they are considered as sandbox
games with the player free to do as they wish. Despite Arma 3
having a story, it is generally considered to be a big tutorial and
wouldn’t be missed if it was removed.