Sep degti sems Centro de Bachillerato Tecnológico Industrial y de Servicios No. 205 E N G L I S H II
First part. Aim: Students will identify thepast simple tense of the verb to be in a singular form to talk about biographies of famous people in the past.
• 1. Who was the first president of the United States?• _________________________________ ___________________
2. George Washington 1732 – 1799George Washington was the first president of the United states. He was born on February 22nd, 1732 in Wakefield, in the state of Virginia. When he was young he was a soldier. Later, he became a president. He was president from April 30th, 1789 until March 3rd , 1797. He married Martha Dandridge Custis. They didn’t have any children. George died on December 14th, 1799.
• 3. Use the information in the biography to solve the following activities.• a) Write the missing information.• Name:• Date of birth:• Place of birth:• Profession:• Married to:• Died:
• b) Write True or false.• A) George Washington was a president. ( )• B) It was his profession after being a soldier. ( )• C) He wasn’t born in 1932. He was born in 1732( )• D) He wasn’t born in Dakota. He was born in Virginia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .( )• E) Martha Dandridge Custis was his wife ( )• F) She wasn’t mother. They didn’t have any children . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Second partAim: Students will identify the past simple tense of the verb to be in a plural form to talk about biographies of famous people who lived in the past.
1. Order the following word to write the names of these muralists.• Alfaro Clemente Siqueiros Jose Orozco Davida)_________________________________b)_________________________________
2. Read the text.• Jose Clemente Orozco He was born in Jalisco on November 22nd, 1883. When he was seven years old he moved to Mexico City where he studied. He painted murals in Mexico and in the United states. His main topics in his murals were about Mexican history. He was an excellent and famous muralist. He died on September 7th , 1949. You can admire some of his murals in the Palacio de Bellas Artes.• David Alfaro Siqueiros He was a Mexican muralist and painter. He was born in Chihuahua in 1896. when he was young he was a soldier in the Venustiano Carranza´s army. At the end of the Mexican conflict he went to Europe where he studied. When he came back to Mexico he participated painting the murals in the Escuela Nacional Preparatoria. His most famous murals are Proceso al Fascismo (1939) and Muerte al Invasor (1940) He died in Cuernavaca in 1974.
3. Complete the sentence with information.• a) ________________ and ______________ were muralist.• b) They weren’t German. They were _______• c) They _______________in other countries.• d) _____________________________ was born in Jalisco on November 22nd, 1883.• e) ____________________________ was a soldier in the Venustiano Carranza´s army.
THE CHAMPION• Jim: Hello, Bob, It’s nice to see you again. You’re looking great.• Bob: Hi, Jim. You’re looking fine, too. Are you still playing on the University team?• Jim: No, not any more. I was on the team three or four season ago when were the champions. We won a big cup.• Bob: Who was on the team then?• Jim: Can´t you remember? Harry Lewis, Fred Robins, and Joe Tracy were on it. Harry was the captain. I was quarterback.• Bob: Now I can understand why you were the winners. I can remember what a fine player you were at school. You were always good at all kinds of sports: football, baseball, soccer, tennis, even in track. The girls shouted when you came out on the field. You were very popular.• Jim: Boy, those were the days!• Bob: Are you taking part in any sport now?• Jim: I only have to drive my car, and once in a while to go to Tequesquitengo. We have two boats: a motorboats and a sailboat. My cousins and I are water skiing almost every weekend this summer. Let’s go together some day.• Bob: Yes, and let’s invite some of our old friends from the university.
Comprehension questions. Answer orally.• 1. Who were Bob and Jim?• 2. Is Jim still playing on the university football team?• 3. How long ago was Jim on the team?• 4. Why did they win a big cup?• 5. Why was Jim so popular in those days?• 6. What did the girls do when they saw him come out on the field?• 7. Is Jim still taking part in some sport?• 8. What are Jim and his cousins doing almost every weekend?• 9. What other game did Jim play when he was at the university?• 10. Who are they going to invite to Tequesquitengo some day?