Participation of Women and Children in IGF: Status and Way Forward BY: Awo Aidam Amenyah
PARTICIPATION OF WOMEN AND
CHILDREN IN IG:STATUS & THE
By: Awo Aidam Amenyah
• COP Initiative in Ghana
• Child participation
• The girls in ICT
• Women’s participation in IG
• My thought on getting girls/women
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 2
The story about COP
• Inappropriate content
• Child abuse imagery
• Online grooming
• Addiction to games
• Cyber bullying
• Lies etc
• A multi-stakeholder
committee to facilitate
a coherent COP action
• Comprising of G’ment,
Industry, Civil Society,
Academia and Law
enforcement with the
responsibility to work
around the 5 ITU pillars.
• JI’s work in Digital
Literacy.8/19/2016 Building the future today! 3
Capacity needs of the Ghanaian!
• How many Ghanaian children will report cases
of online abuse?
• Are teachers of ICT equipped enough to build
children’s resilience for the online
• Are parents empowered enough to supervise
their wards online?
• Is the society clear about what constitutes
abuse of children and young people online?
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 4
From the global checklist
• Is there a legislation specific to child
• What is child pornography?
• What happens if a person is caught in
possession of child abuse imagery?
• Do ISPs report evidence of child abuse
• Equipping children with requisite skills will
enhance their participation.
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 5
Governmment’s ICT4AD POLICY
• “The ICT4AD policy
system using ICTs to
improve and widen
access to education,
training and research
resources and facilities,
as well as improve the
quality of education and
• Driver on bridging
gender inequality can
be subject to the
• Girls in ICT concept
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 6
Status of women’s participation
• Most women shy away from the STEAM.
• Few women participate in ICT related
• Some organizations have built capacity for
women within the STEAM.
• More women are expected to engage online
for the benefit of womanhood.
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 7
Addressing the gaps
• Speaker/Panel discussion on ICTs.
• Coding classes
• Leadership programs
• Other related platforms alluded to by DG –
KICE aimed at empowering women and girls
to go into STEAM in her welcome remarks.
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 8
• To fill the technological savvy gap: peer-to-
• Participate in online courses and other STEAM
related initiatives to gain knowledge and
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 9
To SIGN UP for a course, go to:
• CLICK online courses
• For access code, drop an email:
• Or whatssssap:024 2305656
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 11
• A second look at the ICT4AD policy TO GIVE
backing to all IT related initiatives as well as
acknowledgement of these groups.
• Be an excellent role model. Eg: Not texting
when driving, posting appropriately and so on.
• Ask the questions
• Can we execute a digital device contract with
our children or young people?
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 12
Let’s review Ghana’s
ICT4AD policy to cater for
the interest of ALL in IG
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 13
8/19/2016 Building the future today! 14