● Cloud computing is a means of using the Internet and
remote servers for software applications, data access,
data management and storage resources.
● Cloud computing is the next stage of the Internet
evolution. A typical cloud must have several distinct
properties: elasticity and scalability, multi-tenancy,
self-managed function capabilities, service billing ,
connectivity interfaces and technologies.
CLOUD SERVICE MODELS
● Software as a Service(SaaS):Here, applications /
products are available to the user on demand via the
internet. Eg:Gmail, Google docs.
● Platform as a Service(PaaS):The runtime environment
is available on demand which is used by developers to
deliver their applications. Eg: Google App Engine
● Infrastructure as a Service(IaaS):IaaS is for architects
where the actual hardware infrastructure is deployed
on pay per use basis. Eg:Amazon webservices, GoGrid.
● Cloud testing refers to testing of resources such
as hardware, software, etc. that are available on
demand. Even the testing here can be viewed “as a
● For cloud offerings it’s essential to make sure that the
service (product) not only meets its functional
requirements but also non functional requirements.
With the range of applications in the cloud it is now
becoming essential to develop cloud testing strategy.
BENEFITS OF CLOUD TESTING
● Easier to access environments
-Easier to get virtual environments vs. dedicated physical
-Easier to get different system types & software configurations
● Easier to deploy
-Applications Under Test
● Easier to manage
-Access systems when needed (e.g. during a test cycle)
● Reduced Costs
-A cloud based application or product can be customized based
on the requirement.
IMPORTANCE OF CLOUD TESTING
IBM reported the experience on cloud testing in small business
division, where a flexible and cost-efficient cloud-based
development and testing environment is implemented, and cloud
testing has demonstrated the following major benefits .
● Reduce its capital and licensing expenses as much as 50% to
75% using virtualized resources.
● Reduce operating and labour costs as much as 30% to 50% by
automating development and testing resource provisioning and
● Shorten its development and testing setup time from weeks to
● Improve product quality and reduce the detected defects by as
much as 15% to 30%.
FORMS OF CLOUD-BASED
Cloud testing can be broadly divided into four different categories
based on what they aim to do :
● Testing of the whole cloud: The cloud is viewed as a whole
entity based on its features and testing is carried out based on
that. Cloud and SaaS vendors as well as end users are interested
in carrying on this type of testing.
● Testing within a cloud : This is the testing carried out inside
of the cloud by checking each of its internal features. Only
cloud vendors can perform this type of testing since they have
accesses to internal infrastructures.
● Testing across clouds: Based on specifications, here the
testing is carried out on the different types of cloud like public,
private and hybrid clouds.
● SaaS testing in cloud: Functional and non-functional testing is
performed based on requirements.
● It is performed in local & remote application and it is used
to ensure that cloud application provides the services
“User is Paying for”
● Testing all the features and functions of a system includes
● System Testing : System testing techniques is used to
prove the systems behaviour within its own boundaries.
● Integration Testing: Integration cloud testing allows the
business to verify the cloud solution will work within the
current infrastructure and environments.
● User Acceptance Testing : It will be done to prove that
delivered cloud solution meets business requirements so
that the user accepts the developed cloud solution.
● Load and performance testing conducted on the
applications and services provided via cloud computing --
particularly the capability to access these services -- in
order to ensure optimal performance and scalability under
a wide variety of conditions.
● Cloud testing typically involves monitoring and reporting
on real-world user traffic conditions as well as load
balance and stress testing for a range of simulated usage
● Application / system stability is a major factor when
considering user count in multiples of hundreds.
● Tools : SOASTA Cloud test,LoadStorm,CloudtestGo
● Security is another major concern, mostly because
data and code may be stored in a remote location
beyond an organization's legal and regulatory
● When maintaining the applications in cloud, user
data integrity must also be verified.
● To identify methods of gaining access to a system
tools and techniques used by hackers can well
guarantee the security of cloud testing.
● Tools : Nessus,Wireshark,Nmap
● Multi Browser Testing : To verify application's support for
various browser types and performance in each type can
be accomplished with ease. Various tools enable
automated website testing from the cloud.
● Inter-Operability Testing : Any application must have the
flexibility to work without any issues not only in different
platforms, but also must work seamlessly when moving
from cloud infrastructure to another.
● Compatibility Testing : Using cloud environment,
instances of different Operating Systems can be created on
demand, making compatibility testing effortless.
CHALLENGES IN CLOUD TESTING
● security is a primary issue for the businesses. User
privacy protection, security standards on cloud,
security of applications running within the
cloud, security testing techniques are some of the
primary issues that need to be addressed in the cloud
● performance of an application in a cloud: specifically
in public clouds. It will be shared across many users
and hence could lead to delays. Also in case of some
maintenance or outage related activities, the
bandwidth may seem insufficient.
CHALLENGES IN CLOUD TESTING
● Sometimes for testing purposes, we require certain
configurations: with respect to servers, storage or
networking which may not be supported by the cloud
provider. This sometimes makes it difficult to emulate
● Another commonly faced challenge is with respect to
integration testing whereby the testers test the
network, database, servers, etc. In such situations the
tester will not have control on the underlying
● Cloud computing has today become one of those “big
bangs” in the industry. Most organizations are now
leaning to adopting the cloud because of
its flexibility, scalability and reduced costs.