Can using online
resources and learning
1. Understand that all living things are
made up of genes.
2. Explain how human features are unique
to each individual.
3. Explain how genetic concepts are used
to solve crimes
Other Learning Areas
Literacy focus (cause & effect)
• Objective was for the students to define what are
•Modeled with the class using the data projector
•Students then worked in pairs to explore the activity and
complete the task.
•Benefits: visual, broke down the process into bites size
manageable information, they can always go back and revisit,
appeal to their natural curiosity they have on forensics.
Using genetic concepts to solve crimes
(see digiSTORE links in del.icio.us)
• Model Level 1 Crime Scene
• Each group uses a check list
• Group themselves based on suspects
• Debate on their choice of suspect
• Police officer visits
• Crime scene 2 & 3
• CSI discussion
• Discovery channel activities
• Mock up crime scene week
• Short land Street crime scenes report
• Police officer C Scene
• Forensic Test
• Mock up crimes
• Process observation
• Inspiration diagram
Modeling the lowest level problem with them as a whole class. Giving
the students a more challenging problem to solve every time. This
stepped up their interests and motivation. All selected web sites are at
different levels and pre played by the teacher. Visual learners benefited
from the innovative and inter-active sites and materials that we used.
What didn’t work?
Every student works at a different level so I should have provided more
time for slow readers. Scaffolding should have been taken at a slower
pace. I should spend more time consolidating each point before moving