8. The term “Range” refers to a vast area supporting natural vegetation which is
suitable for grazing and browsing by livestock. Range Management is the
application of scientific knowledge on range lands and related resources for
obtaining maximum feed for a variety of livestock on sustained basis.
10. Forests play a very important role in the economy of a
There is shortage of forests in Pakistan.
Pakistan has 4.01 million hectares covered by forests, which is
about 5 percent of the total land area.
Eighty-five percent of this is a public forest, which includes 40
percent Coniferous and Scrub Forests on the northern hills
The balance is made up of irrigated plantations and forests
along major rivers on Indus plains, mangrove forests on the
Indus delta and trees planted on farmlands.
11. Though the forest resources are meager, it plays an
important role in Pakistan’s economy by employing half a
million people and fulfills one-third of the nation’s energy
Forest and Rangelands support about 30 million herds of
livestock. Forestry sector plays an important role in soil
conservation, regulates flow of water for irrigation and
power generation, reduction of sedimentation in water
conveyances and reservoirs.
12. 1. Raw material for paper, Sports, Silk, Furniture and Tanning
2. Medical herbs and seeds for pharmaceutical industries.
3. Recreation facilities for tourism and camping.
4. Timber/wood for fire and Fodder for cattle.
5. Reduce floods intensity.
6. Cause rain and Increase fertilizer of land.
7. Provide employment opportunities.
8. Control soil erosion.
9. Chemicals such as turpentine oil.