Who? the learners and the teachers How? descrip&ve feedback, NO marks Why? guide learning and teaching When? minute by minute, day by day, with occasional grand events
A Grand Event: Performance based assessment Forma&ve Assess to guide instruc&on Elementary – 4-‐5 /year Middle – 2-‐3/year Secondary – gr. 9 – 1-‐2/semester A few open-‐ended ques&ons Analyze for a paXern of strengths/ areas of need
• What can my students do? • What is missing? • What do I need to teach? • Did my teaching make a diﬀerence? – If not, what will I do next?
1) Learning Inten&ons • I can…statements – I can pose ques&ons based on an image. – I can build a theory from my ques&ons and others’ ques&ons. • Essen&al ques&on – How do we use the past loca&on and mo&on of object to predict the future loca&on and mo&on of objects? • An&cipa&on guide – Before and Aaer Statements
2) Criteria • Drive • Moneyball • Jane Eyre • Breaking Dawn, Part 1 • No Strings AXached
3) Ques&ons • Who is asking? • Who is answering? • Open vs closed
• What am I doing to increase all learners engaging in work that moves the learning forward? • How am I crea&ng space in the classroom to engage small groups of students and individuals in conversa&on?