The Rural Menu
What works for you (and your banker) ?
• Energy efficiency
• Energy Crops?
• Biomass heat?
It is boring, but:
• Energy audits and metering
• Insulation of buildings
• Switching to low energy equipment
• Management (cleaning, maintenance etc)
• Servicing and settings
• Employee training and commitment
The cheapest unit of energy is the one you don’t buy
Next steps: CLA lobbying
• Working with a wide coalition, ten years of lobbying
• Energy Act 2008 includes
– Double ROCs for microgeneration and biomass CHP
– Double ROCs for biogas
– 1.5 ROCs for straight biomass electricity
• Smaller scale renewable electricity (up to 5MW or three
large turbines) from April – arguing about the rates!
• New incentives for renewable heat - widescale biomass
heat use, and biogas fed into the gas grid from 2011
Next steps: CLA Advice
Three detailed handbooks
• Biomass and woodfuel as an enterprise
• Wind farms and wind energy as an enterprise
• Biogas: anaerobic digestion as an enterprise
Provide background and reference information on the
costs and benefits of the technologies.
• CLA advice on the legal, taxation, planning, financial
support and practicalities of investment in renewables
available regionally and in London.