How to Find Information for your FIN5FMA
Kate Freedman, FBEL Faculty Librarian
Semester 1, 2014
ASSIGNMENT 2: RESEARCH PROJECT:
Fortescue Metal Group (FMG)
3La Trobe University
Finding Company Information
• There are many places to find information on a company. We have numerous databases
that cover both company and industry information and financial information. These can
all be found under Company Information in the drop down section of the Databases Tab
on the library homepage.
• Financial Information Databases
• DatAnalysis Premium
• ThompsonOne.com Investment Banker
• Company and Industry Information
• Marketline Australia
• Passport Euromonitor
• Other Business and Newspaper Databases:
• Business Source Complete
• Don’t forget to look at the company’s Corporate Website.
4La Trobe University
• MintGlobal has both public (ASX-listed) and private company financial information.
It has financials, ratios, forecasts, stock data, company news and original documents
(eg. Annual Reports.)
• When entering MintGlobal use the Search Companies tab or enter the name
Fortescue straight into the search box. It will find any company starting with
‘Fortescue’. Make sure you pick the right company!
• You will then see a one page report with selected data from some sections. You can
view the entire report by clicking the tab ‘Everything’ or view each section one by
one by clicking the ‘By Section’ tab.
5La Trobe University
• The report is broken into the following
sections with each section having multiple
• Downloadable, PDF versions of the Annual
and Interim Reports can be found under
• When looking at the financial information be
aware that the Consolidated data is in US $.
This will need to be changed to As Reported
which is the currency of the country where
the company is registered. This can be done
by clicking the word Modify next to any
financials information. Be aware that the
Global Standard Format of accounts is
offered and data from that standard will not
match your data from the official company
• Data can be exported to excel at any time by
clicking on the excel logo in the right hand
side of the section header.
6La Trobe University
• Sections are on the left and include:
• Corporate Details
• Operational History
• Business Summary
• Shareholder Listings and Director’s Trades
• All ASX Announcements
• Share Price History and Market Data
• Financial Data (10 years)
• Dividend History
• Individual Director’s Resumes
• 2 Page Company Summary
• DatAnalysis provides financial information on Australian ASX listed companies. The
main section of DatAnalysis you will use is the Company Report.
7La Trobe University
DatAnalysis Premium • DatAnalysis downloads the data
into excel in a format that is easier
to manipulate than MintGlobal.
8La Trobe University
IBISWorld specialises in Australian Company and Industry reports.
• The reports are available on major Australian ASX listed companies as well as related
• Don’t forget to make note of the date the report was issued.
• Industry reports have a similar tab structure, and contain both qualitative and
latrobe.edu.au CRICOS Provider 00115M
For more help:
• See the Finance Libguide: http://latrobe.libguides.com/finance
• Use the referencing tool: http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/referencing-tool/
• Ask a Peer Learning Advisor in the Library
• Go to the Research Help Desk