Page 1 of 12
Proposed Motion to Dublin City Development Plan
Date 9 November 2010
That Section 17.6.1 of the amended Draft Development Plan is further amended as indicated
in italics to allow consideration of increased building heights on Z6‐Inner and Z10 Inner City
sites which are strategically important regeneration sites:
Category Areas Storeys Res/Office Height
Low‐rise relates to the
prevailing local context*
Up to 6 res/ 7 office
Up to 6 res/6 office
Up to 4 res/4 office
*Note: Where the prevailing local context in the Inner City is not Low rise, i.e. there are buildings which exceed the
maximum heights, a building of up to a maximum of 2 storeys over that stipulated may be permitted on Z6‐Inner
and Z10 sites, provided it can be clearly demonstrated that the overall development meets the objectives of RE20
1. Regeneration projects require a density of commercial development to balance the provision of social /
2. Intensification is required to facilitate the replacement of obsolete stock.
3. The core of Dublin needs to enhance its appeal to international corporate organisations to encourage them
to remain here.
4. Increased number of workers in the area creates a vibrancy and activity to the area which enhances
economic viability of retail, restaurant, theatres & public transport
5. Increased occupation delivers increased job numbers
6. Increased activity will contribute extra users for amenities such as the NCH, the Iveagh Gardens and St.
Stephen’s Green, thereby increasing the return on the government’s investment in social infrastructure.
Criteria by which lands would benefit from * asterix,
1. Inner City Defined by Canals
2. Not low rise Prevailing local context is above 6 res / 7 office
3. Land use zoning Z6 – Z10A which represent, larger development areas, traditionally
employment sites and regeneration areas.
4. Achieves RE20 Ability to achieve substantial scale of office accommodation in a
Policy RE20 To promote and facilitate the supply of commercial space, where appropriate, e.g. retail and office
including larger floorplates and quantums suitable for indigenous and FDI HQ types uses, as a means of increasing
choice and competitiveness, and encouraging indigenous; and global HQs to locate in Dublin (ii) to consolidate
employment provision in the city by incentivising and facilitating the high quality redevelopment of obsolete
office stock in the City.
A map attached shows potential where this criteria would apply, together with an aerial photo of the specific sites.