Landing sponsors for an event can be difficult, especially when trying to win over big-name brands. In this session, Andrew Reid of SponsorHub will present strategies and tactics on how to deliver more value to your event sponsors and ultimately generate more revenue from your events. Explore all aspects of sponsorships including negotiations, B2B vs. B2C sponsorships, how event talent affects sponsorships, new sponsorship technologies, category exclusivity, and much more.
Advertising and particularly ad-tech has sought to commoditize and trade impressions but marketing is about driving sales and impressions are not the only way to do that. Experiential marketing can and should be measured.
Sponsorship Secrets: What Every Event Organizer Needs to Know
• SponsorHub Background
• Sponsorship process for event organizers
• What is sponsorship?
• How does it fit with companies’ overall marketing
• Why will a brand sponsor you?
• B2B vs. B2C sponsorships
• Importance of measurement
• #1 sponsorship aggregator globally
• 20% of the world’s sponsors use SponsorHub
• Over 75,000 sponsorship opportunities
• Created dozens of industry-leading scoring
and valuation algorithms
• First sponsorship buying and management
• Robust RFP tools
the right buyers
Problem: Consumers are Tuning Out
How can marketers cut
through the clutter?
Sponsorship + New Media
enable brands to measurably
engage at scale.
“Sponsorship has a growth rate that surpasses all other forms of
media except for Internet and mobile.”
-Veronis Suhlet 2011 Industry Forecast
Sponsorship industry growth is outpacing both
advertising and sales promotion.
Negotiating: Who Has the Power?
SXSW, LeWeb, sports franchises
also have significant pricing power
Local events with a small but
often devoted group of
attendees have little pricing
SponsorHub helps to
find the opportunities
where prices align best
with potential outcomes
Major leagues like the NFL, NBA or
organizations like FIFA, the Academy
Awards or the IOC set monopoly
We divide B2B vs. B2C sponsorship based on the
sponsor’s intent with a given sponsorship. Is the sponsor
trying to reach consumers or reaching business clients?
Benefits That Sponsors Seek
B2B B2CSocial Media Buzz
Branding / PR
Anchor content for
Benefits B2B Sponsors Seek
Brands pay to have executives “speak” at
events because they want to establish thought
• Deliver the audience
• Not necessarily keynote address:
• Fireside chats
• Pitches, launches etc.
Brands often look for ways to “carve-out”
unique VIP spaces and experiences for client
• Be creative with carve-outs for VIP’s
• Be as extravagent as possible
• Create one-on-one interactions
Benefits B2C Sponsors Seek
• Naming Rights: Offer them if you can because you can get a premium
• Try to incorporate sponsor branding deeply into your programming
• Offer hospitality to key B2C clients to draw them onsite
• Measure Awareness efforts, even if approximate
• Don’t fudge the demographics
Social Media & Sponsorship
Social Media Buzz
Receive credit, not just visibility
3 Types of Measurement
In advertising, there are a number of accepted metrics…
that equate directly to $$!!
Does this image
Most ad-tech says: no
logo, no impression, NO
80% of those polled said
they thought of Nike
positively when they saw
Product Placement & Sampling
• Often first interaction with a
• Nerve-wracking experience
• Location, location, location
• Staff carefully
• Track everything:
• Samples distributed
• Qualitative comments
Sponsorship has evolved…
“Sponsor prospects have more partnership options and than ever
before and are choosing more wisely.”
- IEG 2011, Growing Up: The Evolution of Association Sponsorships
How To Make Sponsors Smile
Predicted Outcomes and Value
Track and Report Metrics!
Case: Auto Manufacturer
• The Client needed to determine the value of their
hundreds of new and existing sponsorships.
• The Client also wanted a centralized digital system
to align the sponsorship group with the best
practices of social and mobile teams
SponsorHub supports this auto client through a
comprehensive relationship that we call– Sponsorship
Platform of Record. In a SPoR engagement, we provide
automated and human-enabled sponsorship discovery
and analytics services. Ultimately, all sponsorships that
the Client engages in are passed through the system
and tracked by global and regional managers.
Case: Local Singles Events + Alcoholic Bev
• Seller needed to determine the value of their
series of national singles events.
• Buyer engaged us to utilize our SponsorHub
scoring, comparison/tracking tools and expertise to
identify sponsorships that have:
• Trackable / High-ROI
• Social potential with a certain demo
• Local/Regional/National reach
SponsorHub aggregated and scored seller’s
inventory, while assisting on a retainer basis with
evaluation services and data science. Our algorithms
matched buyer with the seller’s opportunity and our
strategy team helped to create a set of trackable, high-
ROI activations to support the partnership. Both
parties agreed to extend the engagement and the
seller noted the higher ROI that resulted from
smaller, local events.
• Passion is becoming fragmented. Sponsors are thinking outside the stadium
• Calculate media values and intangibles to negotiate in a data-driven way
• Plan your measurement before your events begin
• Allocate budget for research, data and measurement
• Report metrics to sponsors proactively