How to develop career
management skills using ICT?
The University of Belgrade
Center for Career Development
and Student Counselling
Our goal today is to:
- Present example of use of ICT for career management skills development
- Discuss about challenges in setting-up and conducting online courses
- Share experience and creative ideas
The University of Belgrade (Serbian: Универзитет у Београду / Univerzitet u Beogradu) is the oldest and the largest university in
Serbia. University of Belgrade within has 31 faculties organised in 4 groups: social sciences and humanities, medical sciences, sciences
and matemathics and technology and engineering sciences.
90 000 + students in total
300 + study programs
University career guidance and counselling services launched in 2006.
Career management skills course from 2016. / online from 2017.
@ several faculties
16 822 users at e-Learning platform of University Computer Centre
Where do we come from?
Goals of the University of Belgrade Centre for Career Development and Student Counselling:
● Providing the effective system of support for students and graduates to help them develop
knowledge and skills important for their job finding and continuing education.
● Increasing the number of students and graduates who have gained relevant work
experience during their studies or recently after graduation.
● Developing cooperation among all the faculties at the University of Belgrade and
strengthening the integrative role of University.
● Promotion of students and graduates of the University of Belgrade as future experts in
different business areas and promotion of the University of Belgrade as the leading
institution of higher education in this region.
Key role of the Centre for Career Development is to assist students of the University of Belgrade in developing the knowledge and skills relevant
for employment, help them gain work experience during the studies and useful insights about the world of work, and prepare students and
graduates for the next step in their career development after graduation.
We were awarded last year at the
National Euroguidance competition of
good practices for conducting the
course for development of career
management skills :)
What are career management skills (CMS)?
➢ Key concept of career education
➢ Skills, attitudes and knowledge that individuals require in order to manage their
➢ A range of competences which provide structured ways for individuals (and groups)
to gather, analyse, synthesise and organise self, educational and occupational
information, as well as the skills to make and implement decisions and transitions.
(European Lifelong Guidance Policy Network)
Online course “Career management skills”
University of Belgrade example
Open source e-learning platform
8 online sessions
2 onsite sessions (optional)
The Moodle learning platform is based on strong pedagogical principles, providing a
private learning space for you to design online courses with flexible content and
collaborative activities so your students are constantly experiencing feedback.
The aim of the course
… is to enable students for career management, to prepare them
for transition to the world of work, as well as to provide support in
taking responsibility in their future career development.
Structure and content of the course
Week 1 Career and employability
Week 2 Self-exploration and self-confidence
Week 3 Labor market exploration
Week 4 Decision-making
Week 5 Career planning and goal setting
Week 6 Active job search
Week 7 CV and motivational letter
Week 8 Job interview + onsite job interview simulation (optional)
+ Week 9 Networking with employers (optional)
Methods and techniques
/Moodle activities and resources/
➢ Keeping students engaged:
combination of interactive lessons, reading
and listening materials, video clips,
powerpoint presentations, surveys,
self-assessment tools, quizzes, asking open
questions, giving written assignments
*providing personal feed-back, sending
reminders and alerts on weekly bases
Career and employability: session overview
• Classical and contemporary career
• Personal career comprehension
• Knowledge and skills in the context of
employability and transition to the world
• Career mindset and employability
Self-exploration and self-confidence: session overview
• Self-assessment of interests,
motivation, skills, abilities - Profil plus
• Forming a detailed image of self as a
• The concept of self-confidence
Labor market exploration* modular : session overview
• Understanding and using different sources of information
• Research of professions and job sectors
• Overview of positions in which graduates of a particular faculty are
Decision-making: session overview
• Career decision making process
• Values that direct decisions
• Developing career alternatives
Career planning and goal setting: session overview
• Process and elements of career
• Goal setting
• Long term and short term goals
Active job search: session overview
• Active job search methods
• Use of the Internet in job search
• Networking in job search
• Proactive self-presentation
CV and motivation letter: session overview
• CV and motivation letter - successful self-promotion
• Content and forms of CV and motivation letter
Statistics / page views
Note: Course started on 22 March 2017 and lasted
until 31 May for students of Faculty of Pharmacy
What students say?
➢ 2 to 4 hours weekly engagement
➢ Course is easy to navigate
➢ Course length and tempo are adequate
➢ High overall satisfaction
➢ Advantages and boundaries of online course comparing to live
➢ Administration of course / teacher’s perspective
➢ Activities that keep student engaged
➢ Communication and interaction
➢ Personalized feedback
➢ Technical aspects