EDEL Technology Consulting and how we practice it in product development
Technology Partner To The World
• What is Lean Start-up Methodology?
● Scientific approach to creating and managing
● Ultimate goal is to get products to customers'
● Takes its name from the lean manufacturing
revolution that Taiichi Ohno and Shigeo Shingo
are credited with.
Introduction to the LSM
It's a process therefore, it can be learned to achieve the
The Lean Startup Process
Why Lean Methodology?
●The customer is the ultimate focus here.
●Involve the customer; speak to him to approve or
disapprove the ideas you have, else, you fail
●Eliminate uncertainty to create order
Why Lean Methodology? (Cont’d)
• Promotes innovation-through the core ‘build-
measure-learn’ feedback loop and asks the
question of whether a product SHOULD be
built instead of whether it CAN be built.
Why Lean Methodology?
• Promotes the principle of work smarter not
• It is the best way to build an enduring
• Starting Lean is today’s best practice for
innovators.” — Randy Komisar, founding
director of TiVo
Principles of LSM
The LSM is built on 5 core principles.
●Entrepreneurs are everywhere- irrespective of industry or
●Entrepreneurship is management
Parts of the LSM (1)
The whole methodology can be broken into 3 segments;
Vision- (to achieve this, we employ a strategy, product
roadmap, point of view about partners and competitors and
ideas about who the customers will be )
iii. Learn- which elements of our strategy will help us
achieve what we want
Parts of LSM (2)
Steer – Having a great a idea or building a great product is not
enough, the focus should be on minimizing the total time in this
v. Leap-'the-leap-of-faith' assumptions. ie. the value assumption-
What will generate value for the customer; and the growth
assumption- how will new customers discover our product.
viii. Pivot (or Persevere)
Parts of LSM (3)
Accelerate- Which activities create value and those which
xii. Join the Movement
● ‘In order to learn, failure must be an option, and failure while
learning must be accepted within the organization. If you
cannot fail, then you cannot succeed’. -Jake Simmons
● The story of Edel Technology Consulting - we failed once as a
startup. We came back strong. Thanks to the vision of our
LSM at EDEL Tech Consulting
● In a state of validated learning in the vision stage of our
● Trying to find our feet in the market ,preparing to soar
● We are on our way to succeeding as a lean business by
launching(ideas), learning, adapting in a continuous manner
EDEL- at present
• Validated learning is
● a process
● of demonstrating empirically that a team has
discovered(a sign of learning)
● valuable truths about a start-up’s present and
future business prospects
What is validated learning?
How Do we Account?
●We are able to know if we are making progress by measuring
with concrete decisions- During the Learning phase of validated
●Eliminate what is not necessary and go only with what is
necessary for the customer- i.e. that which provides benefit to
the customer. All other things contrary to this is waste
●Productivity is when we know the right product to build
●Prepare to steer in the direction defined in the current
●Experiment, experiment, experiment more
●Not forgetting our vision as a company
●Experimentation drives innovation and causes us to be in
Preparing to Steer
●As we experiment, we must answer these 4 questions as
proposed by Ries:
●1.Do consumers recognize that they have the problem we
are trying to solve?
●2. If there was a solution, would they buy it?
●3. Would they buy it from us?
●4. Can we build a solution for that problem?
● We identified an employment gap/desire for people to make
● Identified our 2 riskiest assumptions
● We plan and test our assumptions by reaching out to target
● Build a prototype(MVP)- get groups to try it out so we can
● Based on feedback, we Learn- and re-strategize where
● Continue cycle till we succeed- and LAUNCH!
Lean product Example
● The Build-measure-learn steering wheel will
help us to make constant adjustments while
headed to our destination
● we can learn when and if it’s time to make a
sharp turn or whether we should persevere
along our current path.
Ethel Cofie has over 12 years of experience working with
innovative and transformational systems . Her focus has been
on providing services such as product solutions management,
business analysis, software development, service management,
strategy development and implementation.
She has international experience working on a variety of
projects including the Bill and Melinda Gates Mobile
Technology for Health Project, the Ford Foundation’s Election
Monitoring project for Nigeria, and has served as Head of
Commercial Solutions at Vodafone Ghana.
She has been featured on CNN and BBC on her work in
technology and is currently a Barack Obama Mandela