changes the way marketerschanges the way marketers
engage customersengage customers
TheThe 7Cs7Cs to Buildingto Building
IS Your WebsiteIS Your Website
Worth Visiting?Worth Visiting?
• The interface (website) is the visual and virtual
representation to communicate the firm’s value
• Provides significant information to existing and
• Successful design is critical to answer
questions, engage visitors, and create
compelling online experiences.
• Should attract target segment customers AND
deter non-targeted visitors.
• CONTEXTCONTEXT: Captures the aesthetics and
functional “look and feel” of the website.
• CONTENTCONTENT: All the subject matter contained on
• COMMUNITYCOMMUNITY: A set of interwoven
relationships built upon shared interests. Can
create content or services that attract
consumers to the website.
• CUSTOMIZATIONCUSTOMIZATION: a site’s ability to modify
itself to– or be modified by– each user.
• COMMUNICATIONCOMMUNICATION: the dialog that unfolds
between the site and visitors takes 3 forms:
– Firm to user (ex. email messages)
– User to firm (ex. customer service request)
– User-to-user (ex. instant messaging)
• CONNECTIONCONNECTION: All of the links between
the website and other sites.
• COMMERCECOMMERCE: the transactional capacity
of the site. The selling of products,
shipping, payment options, check out
and order confirmation.
• The “look and feel” of the ‘screen-to-face’
• Aesthetic and functional criteria are
reflected/captured to provide the maximum
• Content must be presented in a coherent,
• Visitors must be able to move easily around the
• Factors for maximum layout efficacy:
– Section breakdownSection breakdown: how your organization
your website into sub-categories. Sections on
– Linking structureLinking structure: How sections of the site
are linked together, so visitors can move
back and forth effortlessly
– Navigation toolsNavigation tools: Ways for users to move
throughout the website (can be by types of
search, linking, site maps, e-commerce
• Offering MixOffering Mix: the content includes products,
information, and services.
• Appeal MixAppeal Mix: Has to do with the promotions
and communications messaging projected by
• Multimedia MixMultimedia Mix: involves the variety of
media, from text to video, audio, images, and
graphics all incorporated into the website.
• Content TypeContent Type: The information has a degree
of time-sensitivity...unless its “reference
content” which has a longer shelf life.