BA in Comms (MBA Mktg)
20 Years In Corp. America
Started Career as Recruiter
Launched The Chazin Group ‘04
Tel: (201) 683-3399
What I DoWhat I Do
I teach (lots of) stuff
Job Search Strategies
Life / Work Balance
Business Owner Coaching
A COLD WAR Creation
• President Eisenhower started the science research
agency Advanced Research Projects Agency
(ARPA) within the DoD immediately after, and in
response to, the Cuban Missile Crisis.
• ARPA connected computers together into
networks of networks in a decentralized structure.
• ARPA convinced the military that digital
communications was better than analog, due to
• Protocols developed so that computers could talk
to each other.
• Late ‘60s through ‘70s ARPA joined with other
US allies, then with the DoE, NASA and NSF.
• During the late ‘70s Net commercialization
• In 1979, CompuServe began offering email &
• Invented the OS with the introduction of MS-
DOS in 1981 for the IBM PC.
• MSFT Windows launched Nov. 10, 1983 as
IBM launched its own OS (Top View.) It died
• Windows began shipping in November 1985.
Early Apple 2 Steve’s
In 1971, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak (founders of
Apple Computer Inc.) went into business to build
‘Blue Boxes’ device that allowed free illegitimate
phone calls by faking the signals used by AT&T.
World Wide Web
The World Wide Web software system was
developed by Tim Berners-LeeTim Berners-Lee in 1989 while at
CERN European particle physics lab, to make
navigating the Internet easier and launched it
In1993. He’s the Director of the W3CW3C
The “FATHER”The “FATHER”
of the Internet???of the Internet???
• In 1993 Marc AndressenMarc Andressen
developed the first Web
browser called Mosaic.Mosaic.
• Mosaic is credited with
popularizing the www and
opened up the web to the
• Andressen later becomes one of the founders
• He then becomes the Chief Technology Officer
of AOL, after it acquired Netscape.
What if you had toWhat if you had to pay for thepay for the
Would that be a GOOD thingWould that be a GOOD thing??
““Marketing is the process ofMarketing is the process of
planning and executing theplanning and executing the
conception, pricing, promotion, andconception, pricing, promotion, and
distribution of ideas, goods, anddistribution of ideas, goods, and
services to create exchanges thatservices to create exchanges that
satisfy individual andsatisfy individual and
organizational goals.”organizational goals.”
“Internet marketingInternet marketing is the process of
building and maintaining customer
relationships through online activities
to facilitate the change of ideas,
products, and services that satisfy the
goals of both parties.”
ThisThis 77 Stage Process includes:Stage Process includes:
• Frame/identify the market opportunity.
• Create the marketing strategy.
• Design the customer experience.
• Create the customer interface.
• Design the marketing program.
• Get customer information using technology.
• Evaluate program results.
Internet Marketing Process
• FrequencyFrequency of the connection with
customers: How often does the customer
visit the website?
• DepthDepth of the contact: How thoroughly is
your customer using your website?
• ScopeScope of the connection: how many
different points of contact does the
customer have with the company?
3 Stages of Customer CONNECTION
Internet Marketing 5P-CB Mix
Internet Marketing 2I Mix
• They can be established quickly.
• How do you leverage to build stronger
• Good for building customer awareness and
encouraging exploration and commitment.
• Reduces the cost associated with searching for
products internally (how much to think about
them) and externally (how much to look for
• Define product/service qualities
• Present product/service characteristics
• Chance to “connect” with product maker
• Sign of “perceived” quality…PRESTIGE
• Help consumers organize their knowledge about
a product to clarify their decision-making and
thus adds value to firms.
Brands Matter to Consumers
• Signal characteristics to consumers
• Reduce the risks for consumers in their
– Functional riskFunctional risk: product doesn’t perform up to
– Financial riskFinancial risk: Product’s not worth the price paid
– Physical riskPhysical risk: product poses a physical threat
– Social riskSocial risk: Product results in embarrassment from
– Psychological riskPsychological risk: Product affects mental well-
being of the user
– Time riskTime risk: A product’s failure costs the consumer a
chance of finding another acceptable product
Brands Matter to Organizations
• Serve an identification purpose
• Legal protection such as intellectual property
rights for certain brand attributes
• Investing in a brand helps endow a product
with unique associations and meanings that
help to differentiate it
Brands Matter to Organizations
• MASS CUSTOMIZATIONMASS CUSTOMIZATION means having the
ability to send out customized communications
with MANY customers simultaneously.
• The customercustomer determines the amount of
interaction that they have with the firm.
• The extent/amount of 2-WAY2-WAY communication
between the customer and the company.
• The Internet gives customers the power to
engage with the firm in a way never
• Shift from broadcast’s 1-WAY dialog (TV, radio,
newspapers ) to an interactive marketing
dynamic which fosters debate, exchange and…
Interactivity’sInteractivity’s New Paradigm