How to Develop Thought Leadership Using Social Media
Finding Big Foot or
How To Develop
Using Social Media
Erika Pryor, Ph. D.
Principal Marketing Consultant + Freelance Writer
Pryor Communication Solutions, LLC.
Erika M. Pryor, Ph. D.
● Principal Marketing Consultant +
● Small Business Owner
● Social and Digital Media Junkie
● Services Offered
About the Presenter
"Become the kind of leader that people
would follow voluntarily; even if you had
no title or position." Brian Tracy
"Leadership is Influence." John C. Maxwell
Leadership Matters . . .
● An expert in a specialized area or
● Recognized as having innovative ideas
and success effecting change by
colleagues, competitors, customers and
● The "go to" person
What is a Thought Leader?
"100 Fascinating Social Media Statistics and
Figures from 2012," Brian Hongman,
The Huffington Post
The Big 5 Social Media Players
Social Media + Digital Tools
● 1 billion Facebook users by the end of
● 21% of Facebooks' users are from Asia,
which is less than 4% of Asia's population
● More than 1 million websites have
integrated with Facebook
Facebook Stats . . .
● In 2012, 175 million tweets were sent
from Twitter everyday
● 56% of customer tweets to companies are
● Top 3 countries on Twitter:
○ United States 107 millon
○ Brazil 33 million
○ Japan 30 million
Twitter Stats . . .
● 575 likes + 81 comments by Instragram
users every second in 2012
● More than 5 million photos are uploaded
to Instagram everyday
● In August 2012, Instagram hit 80 million
users with 7.5 million daily active users
Instagram Stats . . .
● 80% of Pinterest users are women and
50% of all Pinterest users have children
● Pinterest referrals spend 70% more
money than visitors from non-social
● 28% of Pinterest users have a $100K
annunal household income
Pinterest Stats . . .
● The Google+ button is used 5 billion
times per day by 48% of global fortune
● 47% of Hispanic consumers use Google+
comapared to the U.S. average of 18%
● H+M have the most Google+ posts of any
Google+ Stats . . .
What statistical trends do you see
that are significant to you and
Are you using online social media and
digital tools in your role as a leader to
create an environments of openness and
Have you practiced your leaership skills
through a range of different media?
Important Questions To Leaders...
"According to Forbes, a thought leader is an
individual or firm that signficiantly profits
from being recognized as such."
Gini Dietrich, "Is Thought Leadership Just
Business Jargon," April 17, 2013.
● Having a leadership position in the
marketplace builds business, drives sales
● Thought leadership campaigns are
fundementally a business development
strategy based on content marketing
● Thought leadership differentiates you
from your competitors
How Thought Leadership Has
3 Things You Need to Know About
Thought Leadership Campaign
Develop thought leadership content that
is tightly targeted
Reaching a responsive audience of
prospects is more important and profitable
than reaching the largest audience
Develop thought leadership content that
has considerable value for your target
Thought leadership content must be able to
make a meaningful difference to your
Valuable content will be shared on social
media platforms with potential clients.
Keep developing thought leadership
It's easy for thought leaders to give up and
"vanish," so don't!
It's a fairly hard uphil road to becoming a
thought leader, and a quick ride down.
10 Tactics for Creating a
Leadership Campaign Using
Social Media and Digital Tools
1. Select an area of focus
2. Identify your internal brand ambassador
3. Extend brand credibility to internal
4. Develop social media profiles
5. Identify and listen to your industry
6. Develop, disseminate, and multipurpose
original research (infographics,surveys, and
7. Use social media to consistently share
content from identified thought leaders
8. Grow your audience using social media
9. Establish a publication frequency and
stick to it
10 Routinely review content performance
and optimize as needed.
1. Thought Leadership is real, legitimate
2. Thought Leadership is a business
development strategy rooted in content
3. Social Media networks and digital tools
are channels of diseemination
5 Key Takeaways
4. Your audiences and prospects are online
-- you just have to learn where.
5. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest,
and Google+ are the most popular and well
trafficked social media channels.
5 Key Takeaways cont . . .