Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
What is the Whipple ProcedureWhipple procedure is more than just an alternative for the mouthful wordpancreaticoduodenocto...
Pancreatic cancer often has poor prognosis: rates for all stages of pancreatic cancer combined are25% 1-year survival and ...
WHO NEEDS A WHIPPLE PROCEDUREWhipple procedure is a curative surgical treatment for exocrine pancreas cancers involving th...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

What is the Whipple Procedure

1,546 views

Published on

It is a ray of light amidst the darkness that is pancreatic cancer. For anyone going through Pancreatic Cancer, the physical and emotional burden of the disease can be too much to handle. Often, the lack of information that is both accurate and easy to understand can weigh down an already troubled person.

Published in: Health & Medicine
  • Be the first to comment

What is the Whipple Procedure

  1. 1. What is the Whipple ProcedureWhipple procedure is more than just an alternative for the mouthful wordpancreaticoduodenoctomy. It is more than a major surgical procedure to remove a portion of thepancreas, bile duct, gallbladder, duodenum and stomach. It is a ray of light amidst the darkness thatis pancreatic cancer. For anyone going through Pancreatic Cancer, the physical and emotional burdenof the disease can be too much to handle. Often, the lack of information that is both accurate andeasy to understand can weigh down an already troubled person.Our website helps patients, their families and loved ones to understand:Whipple Proceduresurvival ratecomplicationspossible prognosis THE REALITY THAT IS PANCREATIC CANCERAs much as anyone would wish, it is just a nightmare and waking up fixes everything, PancreaticCancer is a reality.The pancreas is an organ in the human body that plays parts in both digestive and endocrine system.It has Islets of Langerhans, which produce hormones necessary for other body functions and acinarcells, which produce enzymes for the digestion of food and absorption of nutrients. The pancreas andits parts lie in close proximity with other organs inside the abdominal cavity. The head of thepancreas rests on the arc of the duodenum, the body is behind the stomach and the tail is in contactwith the spleen. Most blood vessels run across, behind or along the pancreas. The dual role thepancreas plays and the approximation of its parts to other organs make pancreatic diseasescomplicated, difficult to manage and sometimes, fatal.Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor, which originates from abnormal growth pattern andproliferation of cells forming the pancreas. The growth of cells exceeds and violates the boundariesof the normal tissue around it. If this is seen in the exocrine component of the pancreas, it is knownas adenocarcinoma and it accounts for 95% of cases. The remaining 5% is from the islet cells.
  2. 2. Pancreatic cancer often has poor prognosis: rates for all stages of pancreatic cancer combined are25% 1-year survival and 6% 5-year survival. The 5-year survival rate for localized disease is 20% whilethe average survival for locally advanced and metastatic disease is about 6-10 months.
  3. 3. WHO NEEDS A WHIPPLE PROCEDUREWhipple procedure is a curative surgical treatment for exocrine pancreas cancers involving the headof the pancreas. It is only performed if the neoplasm is localized, did not invade neighboringstructures and metastasize. Sadly, less than 20% of cases are localized upon diagnosis. Whippleprocedure can only be performed in this minority. WHAT HAPPENS IN A WHIPPLE PROCEDUREThe surgery involves removal of the site of the neoplasm, the head of the pancreas, and thesurrounding organs: the curve of the duodenum, distal half of the stomach, gall bladder, cystic duct,common bile duct and regional lymph nodes. Reconstruction is done to preserve the continuity ofthe digestive tract and it involves creation of a bypass for food to pass from stomach to the jejunumand the attachment of the hepatic duct to the jejunum to allow passage of digestive juices from thepancreas and bile from the liver into the digestive tract.Ton continue reading, please visit http://www.whipple-procedure.org/

×