Way of thinking
i.e. how do you lure and hook a client...?
“Old” Marketing is often done
using the principles of “fishing”...
How do you SERVE
the client or customer?
(Donald is a marketing expert/speaker, and was founder of the
award-winning clothing store, “Alive and Well”)
Human Marketing® is:
Thinking and feeling into the needs of your
- Donald Cooper
(Creator of “Human Marketing®”)
Dave Nichol - Loblaws
For example, Loblaw’s
Dave Nichol created
No Name® and No
Frills® in response to
customers needs... and
President’s Choice® as
an expression of what
Your Outcomes will result from:
The consciousness you choose
The spirit, energy and intention behind
what you do...
and the larger outcome you want to create
Lack / Get / Fear / Control
Have / Give / Love / Offer
- I “have to” / I don’t enjoy it
- goes against my/others values
- creates more ‘commercialism’
- my interests
- lack, need, getting
- manipulates (hooks)
- convinces, pressures
- bends truth
- in your face/attention
- I want to! (It brings me what I want)
- expresses our values/honours others
- creates the world we want
- OUR interests
- having, fullness, giving
- love, trust
- empowers, serves
- listen, consult, offer
- respect, integrity
- meaning, relationship
Our Split Self
We are in the midst of a Paradigm Shift in
Marketing, Sales and Business
- a shift in the intention/consciousness of what we do
- a desire to incorporate our personal values,
and shared values
- a desire to connect our ‘soul’ and our ‘role,’
and to inspire/revitalize the human spirit
- the need/value of turning to a deeper wisdom within
- a desire to use our work to create the world we want
- it’s not just WHAT we do... but HOW we do it
Marketing and selling are just tools –
to accomplish something... What is that for you?
Your products, services, business are just tools –
to accomplish something... What is that for you?
What is your larger purpose?
What is the experience you want out of this –
For yourself....? For others...?
I had a love of nature, and didn’t want to see it polluted...
Garbage/3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle)
as a ‘tool’ for change
No value/Don’t care Value/Caring
Photos: climate-connections.org / Maclean’s / Wikipedia // earth911.com / en.gov.bc /
So I used...
Manager of Waste Collection for
Superior Sanitation, Kitchener
“Wouldn’t it be great if we could do
And met two men
who also cared &
wanted to see
President of Superior Sanitation
(and Laidlaw Waste Management Systems),
‘It doesn’t make sense for the City
to pay us just to collect garbage.
Isn’t there a better way?’
So our company
proposed a test project
for a new recycling
then hired us to create:
We educated & involved local residents, the Alderman, Mayor, media, and
the whole community...
And 250 homes received a Blue Box
It first looked like this...
It later became this...
But even more important was the consciousness behind it.
We believed that people cared and wanted to make a difference...
so that was chosen as our program ‘slogan’:
And as the Blue Box program grew,
it helped ‘launch’ this phrase into common usage
around the world...
What is Your Larger Intention/ Purpose / Outcome?
- What do I love/value/care about?
What would I love to share/do?
- Do I have a vision for something I’d like to see
in the world, or a problem I want to solve?
- Why do I want to bring it to others?
Why would it be valuable to them?
- How do I want to feel?
How do I want others to feel?
How do you make your work...
and how you market,
promote and sell it...
An expression of
WHAT YOU VALUE
What you WANT TO CREATE
in the world?
How could I make my customers happier?
Inspired by a dream, this driver turned his taxi into an entertainment
hotspot – called the “Cosmic Cab”
(Print story: www.yongestreetmedia.com; Video story: www.citynews.ca/2011/02/24/cosmic-cab)
Before marketing, ask yourself:
- Am I ready to market yet, or...
- Do I need to get clearer on what my work is?
- Do I like what I’m doing?
- Am I clear on my purpose?
- Is this right for me? Does my heart lie elsewhere?
What if What I do Doesn’t Work?
Dealing with fear, failure and disappointment
- How am I feeling?
- What was I supposed to learn here?
Not all business projects are meant to succeed
These are stepping stones, or pushes, to do
the work we are really meant to do...
is about creating a bridge or connection:
between what you love, care about and do –
and those who would value it too.
Do what you do so well
that when other people see
what it is that you do,
they will want to see you do it again…
And they will bring others with them
to show them what it is that you do.
- Walt Disney
Tips to Use the “New Marketing”
- am I “marketing and selling” someone... or wanting to “raise” them?
- am I marketing from fear/lack/need –or- love, fullness, a desire to serve?
- am I trying to get/control/convince –or– give, inspire, help others to know
and get what they really need/want?
- am I telling people the truth... and being honest with myself?
- do I value what I’m marketing/selling, and how I’m doing it?
- would I want to be treated this way?
Listen to your spirit / energy...
In the New Marketing:
the more you are yourself...
the more ‘unique’ you will be
- listen to your call, and what feels right to you
- “how would I like to people to feel?”
- “how would I like to be treated?”
- which intention/ mindset/ consciousness
am I coming from? (Notice how you’re feeling)
How does it feel to approach “marketing” this way?
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at:
416-233-8665 -or- firstname.lastname@example.org
Much success, joy
and fulfillment in YOUR
marketing, selling and work!