Among the Jewish exiles the King ordered young men be selected with no physical defect, Handsome in appearance, super intelligence & competent to serve as royal pages. They underwent 3 three years of training after which they were presented to the king.
Hebrew names changed as their names represented Jewish Gods changed to pagan Babylonian gods. Shadrach possibly is derived from Shudur Aku "Command of the moon god”. Meshach is probably a variation of Mi•sha•aku, meaning "Who is what Aku is?", and may have been an alteration of his Hebrew name Mishael Abednego is either a corrupted or deliberate use of Abednebo, "servant of Nebo/Nabu," or Abednergo, a variation of Abednergal, "servant of the god Nergal"
Such Skill was highly prized in the ancient world.
Common practise for ancient kings to set up coloccal images, deties, or sometimes themselves. Similar to Antiochus IV Epiphanes Power, positon, prestige – Idols False religion use power of external compulsion whether physical, psychological or spiritual. But True religion depends on love not force. God draws his people to himself by persuading not pressurizing; by inviting not intimidating Cross reference 1 Mac 1:54
Govt official so they ought to have been 1 st to be obedient to the royal edict Similarity of the scene at the xcruxifixion when the enemies of Jesus taunted him with similar words.
V 16 Righteous living does not require an oral defense. The Jewish heroes are saying that this is not time to argue the matter, action will be the reply to the king
Book of daniel session 2 mow
Book of Daniel Session 2
Background of 1st Story• Babylon + Nebuchadnezzar (1:1-4)• Transferred : 1} Precious sacred vessels used in the temple of Jerusalem 2} Large number of Jewish people• Chosen for their intellect and beauty to be trained asadvisors to the Babylonian court as royal pages
4 Youth selected (1:5-7)Hannaniah = Yahweh has been GraciousMisheal = Who is like GodAzariah = God has helpedDaniel = God is my Judge Chief Eunuch Training in-charge changed their names to Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego & Belteshazzar
Food test• Daniel refused to eat Royal food (1:8)• Reason = forbidden by Jewish laws• Not defile himself
• (1:11-16) They managed to convince the appointed person in charge of them• Reward of Faithfulness (1:17 & 20)• Highly prized – Interpreting Dreams
Conclusion• Faithfulness to the Law• Faithful at all times• After all whom are we serving (Deuteronomy 7:9)- Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations
Faithfulness in the furnace• Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego: provincial administrators (2:49)• Read Daniel 3:1-7• Todays Idol for which some make others bow• Difference between true religion & False religion
• Read Daniel 3:8-12• Complain regarding the 3 jewish youth to the king• Disobedience of the royal edict aggravated even more as they were government officials• Read 3:13 -18• Mathew 27:41-42 = Daniel 3:15
Reply of the youth• (Daniel 3:16)• Their Obedience was ultimately to God & not to any human king. As they were accountable to God.• Righteous living does not require an oral defense.• The Jewish heroes are saying that this is not time to argue the matter, action will be the reply to the king• Virtues are caught not taught
• (Daniel 3:17)• Their faith gave them confidence that their God would deliver them from the fiery furnace• But even if their God would not deliver them they would not sin by committing idolatry (Daniel 3:18)• Faith means to accept God’s will for us regardless of the result
• The youth were cast into the furnace (3:19-23)• Prayer & Praise in the furnace – Short praise hymns (3:24-90)
Youth were protected by God (3:91-94)• Three men were still alive amidst the fire• Like a son of God – Angelic being• Author wants to convey: 3 men were protected by God in whom they had trusted• Main essence: Surrender + allow God to work out his plan & not Vice versa
• Read 3:95-97• King praising God of the Jews• The king changed his edict• Knowing this would strengthen the faith of the persecuted Jews