GreenPartner have recently partnered with Enerit to deliver a unique sustainability and ISO 50001 certification services to the hotel industry. This presentation is a case study presented by Andres Fellenberg van der Molen on the sustainability and certification process of large hotel property management company in Germany. This includes the challenges with implementing an energy management and sustainability practices across a large portfolio of properties.
Are you able to filter which of these certifications are real Certifications?
Greenwashing is a form of spin in which green
PR or green marketing is deceptively used to
promote the perception that an organization's
products, services, aims or policies are
environmentally friendly. Greenwashing efforts
can range from changing the name of a
product to evoke them as eco-friendly or
advertising campaigns portraying sustainable
operations that are not officially certified or
The Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) serves as the international body for establishing and
managing standards for sustainable tourism. All of the programs and activities work toward this central
GSTC is mostly a volunteer organization, consisting of experts in sustainable tourism and supported by
organizations and individuals with a passion for ensuring that meaningful standards are available globally for
sustainability in travel and tourism.
Major German Hotel Management company
Our report presents the results of the energy audits carried out as part of the
meddle stage of the ISO 50001 Energy Efficiency compliance activities.
The following general six stage energy audit approach was employed:
• Preliminary data gathering (before site visit)
• Preliminary analysis / desk audit (before site visit)
• Site survey
• Further investigations
• Final analysis and reporting
A number of energy efficiency opportunities with varying payback periods were
identified during the assessment.
Cost savings of approximately EUR 600.000 /yr are possible through measures
that have a short payback period and represent mayor energy and water savings.
The total energy yearly use is approximately 29.84 GWh/yr.
Approximately 40% of the energy use is related to Natural Gas (used for space
and water heating.)
The electricity & gas is it not separately sub metered. For this reason it was
necessary to develop the energy usage through a combination of temporary sub
metering, spot measurements and spreadsheet calculations.
The hotels can be seen as the architectural combination of three distinct zones,
all serving distinctly different purposes.
The energy flows occurring in these three areas are very different, and need to be
Sub metering is advised to all the hotels in the following areas accordingly:
• Sub metering – Electricity – Water – Heating N1: Total Guest Rooms, lobby, corridors
• Sub metering – Electricity – Water – Heating N2: Kitchen
• Sub metering – Electricity – Water – Heating N3: Restaurants
• Sub metering – Electricity – Water – Heating N4: Spa (if it is applicable)
• Sub metering – Electricity – Water – Heating N5: Meeting Facilities (if it is applicable)
Non or Low investment Actions = Simple short term payback
• How do your customers perceive you?
• How much are they willing to pay for your
• Would they pay more if you increase the added-
Value of the product?
• How much does your product cost you?
• Do you know how much you can reduce your
Energy Efficiency via
ISO50001, will help
hotels to reinforce
will help to
Your contact person is:
Andres Fellenberg Van der Molen