A category of artistic composition, as in
music or literature, characterized by
similarities in form, style, or subject
A subcategory within a
Russian theorist, Tzvetan Todorov, suggests that all narratives follow a three part
structure. They begin with equilibrium, where everything is balanced, progress as
something comes along to disrupt that equilibrium, and finally reach a resolution, when
equilibrium is restored.
Proop theory suggest that there are set characters in every TV Drama. For Example: the
hero, the villain, the helper and a mentor.
The main conventions of a crime drama:
• The main characteristics of a crime drama are officers of the
law, victims, suspects and criminals.
• Most crime drama’s deal with one or two main crimes per
episode, sometimes more. New victims are created every
time, whilst the cops remain the same.
• Crime dramas are usually set in rooms, such as the
interview room, or the court room, the autopsy room or the
squad room at the police station and mainly set in the city.
The main conventions of a medical drama:
• A medical drama is a television program, in which
events center upon a hospital, an ambulance staff, or any
• Most medical drama’s deal with one or two main
accidence per episode, sometimes more. New victims
are created every time, whilst the medical staff remain
The main conventions of a soap opera:
• A television or radio drama series dealing typically with daily
events in the lives of the same group of characters.
• Most parts of the drama include relationships within different
family's within the area. There are usually several different
story's going on at the same time.
The main conventions of a Costume drama:
• A television or cinema production set in a particular historical
period, in which the actors wear costumes typical of that period.