Constructing the front cover of a film magazine

270 views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Art & Photos
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
270
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
9
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Constructing the front cover of a film magazine

  1. 1. Constructing the front cover of my film magazine
  2. 2. I wanted to create a striking background. In order to do this, I re-named the background layer “Layer 0” and filled it with a blue/tealcolour. I then went on ‘Filter’ –> ‘Render’ –> ‘Lighting Effects’ andadded a spotlight.
  3. 3. I then created a new layer and added this image ofan old letter, which I found on the internet at thisweb address:http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=old+letter+wiki&um=1&hl=en&safe=vss&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=EzvCoJYHdewzcM:&imgrefurl=http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Old_Letter.jpg&docid=fnYVInl06D_7HM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Old_Letter.jpg&w=1597&h=2437&ei=y-sfT-uVBYiv8gPVy_DADg&zoom=1&biw=1280&bih=827&iact=rc&dur=0&sig=112547272124444989628&page=1&tbnh=149&tbnw=98&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=38&ty=55
  4. 4. I then adjusted the opacity of the letter layer to 54%, so that the bluespotlight would shine through.
  5. 5. I then cut out this image of Sarah in a new Photoshopdocument using the ‘Magic Wand Tool’, the ‘Magnetic LassoTool’ and the ‘Eraser Tool’. I then cropped it using the‘Rectangular Marquee Tool” and stretched it by transforming it.Finally, I got rid of any imperfections with the ‘Spot HealingBrush Tool’ and increased the contrast and saturation on thelevels palette.
  6. 6. I then created a new layer and opened up thepicture of the old letter again, dragging it so that itfully covered Sarah’s face and chest. I then createda layer mask, and, using a blackpaintbrush, painted over the areas around such asher hair and clothes.
  7. 7. I then changed the blending mode toThis was the result: ‘Multiply’ and the opacity to 55%: This was the finished result.
  8. 8. I then adjusted the levels, brightness and contrast slightly:
  9. 9. I then added it to the background:
  10. 10. Next, I added a black I then changed the colour ofborder using the ‘stroke the title to one similar to thattool’ and a title, using a in Sarah’s jumper, by using thefont from ‘eye-dropper tool’, the ‘magicwww.dafont.com. wand tool’ and the ‘fill tool’.
  11. 11. At this point, however, I decided that I wasn’t at all happy with my magazine so far.As with the initial version of my poster, it didn’t appear to conform very well withconventional film magazines, as the background meant that nothing stood out orwas eye-catching. This meant that nothing I placed on the cover looked right, orsimply wasn’t visible enough. I therefore decided to restart my magazine frontcover so as to make it more conventional and eye-catching, taking these magazinecovers as inspiration:
  12. 12. I started again with the manipulated image:
  13. 13. I then put the image onto a stripy white background and added animage of a vintage-looking union flag. I then added a strip along thebottom that was the same colour as parts of the flag, and also addeda strip along the top containing the magazine name (using a fontfrom www.dafont.com) and tagline, which I put in the middle of twoblack lines to make it stand out more, and fill blank space.
  14. 14. I then added a dateline, website and barcode, along with extrainformation about a competition featured in the magazine in the bottomstrip, which I also added a border to.
  15. 15. I then added a coverline; I created the word “British” withthe union flag printed on it in the same way that I did theimage manipulation on Sarah’s face, using a vector mask anda black paintbrush with the word “British” and the image ofthe union flag.
  16. 16. I then added more coverlines and used the ‘stroke’ tool to give the words in red andblue a border. I think the combination of modern-looking and old-looking fontshelps to create synergy between the old and new themes of the film, and thevariation in the font sizes makes it eye-catching and aesthetically-pleasing.
  17. 17. I then added the writing on the flag, and created a border around each letter withthe ‘stroke’ tool so that the words would look slightly three dimensional. I also addedtwo black lines above and below the name “Sarah Brewitt” so that it was emphasisedmore, and the whole thing looked more aesthetially-pleasing. Finally, I added apuff, using the ‘elliptical marquee tool’ and created two different coloured bordersaround it using the ‘stroke’ tool.
  18. 18. Overall, I am very pleased with my magazine, as I believe I have managed to make it look conventional and professional.
  19. 19. Feedback: Here is the feedback I have received about my magazine cover:•It looks busy and packed with information•I like the design and colours – the red, white and blue reflectsthe ‘best of British’ theme•It looks like a real magazine•I like the way you’ve layered the text over the image•I love the old lettering on the girl’s face•I think you have used a really effective combination of fonts•I like the vintage look of the flag•It’s quite striking in its symmetry•I like the fact that the tricolour theme is continued throughout•It’s very clear

×