Social Media 2010
What will happen with social media in 2010?
10 Predictions for 2010
1 Growing Ubiquity 6 Tipping Point For Brands
2 Increased Localization 7 Business Changes
3 Further Integration 8 Personal Brands Grow
4 Ability To Do More 9 Increased Monitoring
5 More Mobility 10 New Platforms, Not Services
1 Growing Ubiquity
300 million users
18 million by the end of 2009
26 million by the end of 2010
2 Increased Localization
• Gives the ability to create your own
social network for free
• You can also build video or photo sites a
la YouTube or Flickr
• Currently 1.5 million Ning networks
• As of July it was valued at $500 million
• Helps you connect with friends using
GPS via your mobile device
• Add tips to locales
• Twitter integration: optionally tweet out
every check-in, optionally DM friends
with check-ins, ﬁnd Twitter friends using
3 Further Integration
BRAND Website = Community
5 More Mobility
would give up 35 Twitter
other comms resources for
YouTube mobile usage
mobile avail grew 450% in
on variety of 2008
6 Tipping Point For Brands
Brands ﬁnally catch up.
Remember when you thought a website was optional?
• Three-fourths of marketers are planning to increase their outreach to
social media in 2010.
• One in ﬁve tweets posted on Twitter contain some type of inquiry or
information about a speciﬁc product or service that is brand-related.
• Of management, marketing and human resources executives polled,
81% saw social media as being useful for both brand-building and
enhancing customer or client relationships.
• 52% of social network users have become a fan or follower of a
company or brand, while 46% have said something good about a brand
or company on a social networking website (double the percentage
who had said something negative).
• Users are actively seeking out their favorite brands online or being
connected through other means - like a friend’s suggestion, a link on a
website, or ofﬂine advertising.
9 Increased Monitoring
Monitoring social media conversations will be more
important. Will it become affordable?
• Radian 6
The Free Tools
• Google Analytics
• Many others coming in 2010!
10 New Platforms, Not Services
It will be more about what it can do for me
rather than what does it do.
It will be better than these.