• Good health is not something that can be bought, nor
a condition that can be regained easily after getting
sick. It Is your responsibility to make your body
• Keeping bad habits, neglecting symptoms of illness
and ignoring regular heath examinations can
counteract the best medical care.
• One of the basic ways in keeping one’s self healthy is
to know the value of regular health examinations.
• In high school, it is important for you to be aware of
the need to undergo a regular health check-up.
• A healthy body is a significant factor in self
• One of the best ways to maintain good health
is to know the value of health examinations.
• A person becomes aware of his health status
if he/she undergoes regular check-ups.
• Regular check-ups by a doctor and a dentist
play an important role in safeguarding health.
They provide relevant information about any
physical defects or impaired health.
• People should seek medical and dental
examination at the first sign of illness.
• A healthy body helps a person develop
• Only a healthy student can give his best and
can perform well any task assigned to him.
• If you undergo regular check-ups, you can
be constantly advised by your doctor about
the ways to achieve good health,.
• The doctor can remind you that examination
pressures, limited finances and lack of sleep
are all much easier to cope with if you
maintain your health by eating good foods.
• Junk foods affect both your mental
alertness and physical health.
Insufficient sleep, stress and poor
eating habits oftentimes lead to vitamin
and mineral deficiencies.
• Through regular health examination,
your body will have a nutritional
reserve it needs to cope with the
additional stress in your immune
Who should consult the health
Doctor or School Physician – handles the
medical examination of students.
Dentist – responsible for a dental
examination of the students.
Nurse – assists the doctors and the dentist.
She also manages the school clinic.
Teacher – helps detect changes in the
physical and emotional well – being of the
What should be check-up
• The eyes is the organ of sight.
• It is the most important organ of viewing the
• Sight is our most precious and many people fear
blindness more than any other disability.
• Doctors recommended that everyone should
have an eye examination at least once a year.
This could be given by an optometrist or by an
• The ear is the sense organ that makes
it possible for us to hear.
• Hearing enables us to communicate
with one another through speech.
• It also alert us to danger and provides
• The ears also help us to keep our
• These organs inform the brain about
any changes in the position of the
• Hearing ability is tested through the
use of a tuning fork, stop watch or a
• Accuracy of the whisper test, however,
is determined largely by the skill of the
person administering the test.
• The mouth and teeth are used to
communicate with other people.
• They play very important roles in speech and
• The teeth also give shape and structure to the
mouth. They work with the face muscles to
help form a smile.
• Dental examination must be done once every
six months or twice a year.
• The dentist examines the
teeth, corrects dental effects
and helps maintain oral
• Tooth extraction is also done
to those who have effective
Height and Weight
• The changes formed when the height and weight
are measure serve as basis for instruction and
furnish motivation for health improvement.
• To measure the weight, a weighing scale is used.
Barefooted the students stands on the scale and
let another student read the recorded weight.
• Height is measured using meter stick, which
placed against the wall. The student removes his
or her shoes and stands erect with heels together,
buttocks and head against the wall, with eyes
• Blood pressure is the force of the blood
pulsing against the walls or arteries.
• The pressure when the heart beats is
called the systolic pressure.
• The pressure between beats, when the
heart is at rest is called diastolic
• Measuring blood pressure is important.
• It determines whether the pressure of
your blood is at normal level.
• Any blood pressure below 140 systolic /
90 diastolic is considered as normal for
an individual below 18 years old.
• The tools used to measure blood are the
stethoscope and a blood pressure meter
• Counting the pulse rate is done when
the person is at rest.
• Place the index finger and the middle
finger near at wrist.
• Count the beats for one minute.
• The average normal rate is 70-90 beats