Eddie Johnson, Allie Dondanville, Max
Burnside, David Gorley
Too often in our everyday life we settle for what
we already know and are comfortable with.
Rarely, it seems, do people step out of their
comfort zone to discover new activities… in
turn, neglecting opportunities for them to
embrace who they are.
Allie – Marketing/Finance
Dave — Programming/Technical Advisement
Eddie — Business Development/Web Design/Marketing
Max — Graphic/Web Design
• What’s Missing? — A dedicated software developer
• Initial Target Market: College students ages 18-24 in Oxford, OH.
• Second Stage Target Market: All ages in Oxford, OH
• Final Alpha Stage: All ages Ohio
• We are focused on people, anyone from anywhere
who is willing to make a change in their lives.
• Initially, we will be the salesforce behind our
product. This means attending to each customer’s
• Our hope is that those individuals who are
considered “couch-potatoes” or just those who are
looking for a little more excitement in their lives will
find our service useful and fun to use.
• We want to offer these people a way to discover
what they can do in their community that they may
not have previously been aware of.
• Micro Goal: x number of users by Day 90, with at least
30% engagement (at least checking once per day)
• Our initial goal is to monitor the amount of traffic who
visits our site and the number of people who create a
• We will also monitor the amount of business owners and
individual event creators who use our service to
Metrics that will inform your actions and help evaluate success
• Run low-cost trials to test your assumptions
• Set performance metrics to measure progress, and plan how
to solicit feedback
Low Cost Trials
• Email, listserv to interested friends and family
• Simple, front-end website to measure traffic of interested
• Various social media marketing advertisement
• Day 15: 10 local organizations agree to promote through
BeACTIVE; invite users to sign up through email
• Day 30: 10 activities with at least 10 attendants
• Day 90: 30 activities with at least 10 attendants
Single, concrete, measureable goal
• 10 activities with at least 10 attendants by Day 30
• Each user has their own unique Hobbies & Interests that
they will include in their private profile.
• Using the Hobbies & Interests listed on the users
profile, a calendar will then show what is happening in
that users are which correlates to the Hobbies &
Interests from their profile.
• By way of showing people what they can do that they
have expressed interest in will hopefully lighten their
day, and fulfill the goal we are seeking which is to get
people to BeACTIVE.
• Self-Actualization: the realization or fulfillment of
one's talents and potentialities, considered as a
drive or need present in everyone.
• This definition is the motive and inspiration behind
• Influence what people will do with their free
time, rather than sit inside and play video games etc.
• Attempt to bring communities together by way of
helping businesses and cities advertise events and
activities, and for individuals to see what these
businesses and cities are hosting.
• BeACTIVE is driven by your own interests and location.
• “activities & events recommended for you, based upon
what your hobbies and interests are”.
• The hope is that you will become aware of what you can
do with your days that you weren’t previously associated
• The content advertised and posted on BeACTIVE will
draw in users initially.
• By way of the various social media sharing
sites, including check-ins, photos, video’s, event
sharing will allow users to make a connection in
their community, with the activity/event, and with
friends who may also be interested in seeking out
new activities to take part in.
• The use of visuals connected with the advertised
activity/event will also give more of an incentive for
users to take part in the activity/event being
• Posting photos of
• Using video to record past and present events that are
close to the user
• “It’s funny what is happening to us. Our lives have become
digital, our friends virtual. Everything we could ever want to
know is just a click away. Experiencing the world through
endless second-hand information is not enough. If we want
authenticity we have to initiate it.” – Travis Rice
• “We have technology, finally, that for the first time in human
history allows people to really maintain rich connections with
much larger numbers of people.” – Pierre Omidyar
• “Social media spark a revelation that we, the people, have a
voice, and through the democratization of content and ideas
we can once again unite around common passions, inspire
movements, and ignite change.” ― Brian Solis
• Users can post stories of an experience at an
activity/event they have attended, to help expand
the interest and attendance of the activity/event the
next time around.
• A blog or forum could also be available on the site
for users to post and comment on activities/events
to broaden their awareness and possible
• This blog will be a nice way for activity/event
creators to have a connection with those on
BeACTIVE and to answer any questions about their
posting on the site. BeACTIVE site creators can also
gain valuable insight to how & how often BeACTIVE
is used and visited.
• BeACTIVE is built upon authenticity.
• Our focus is to connect individuals with their Hobbies &
Interests who were not previously associated with each
other or with an event that correlates to the users
Hobbies & Interests.
• The blog capability is also focused on authenticity
because it will consist of those individuals and
activity/event creators being able to share real stories
and experiences from the various activities/events.
Match the Media.
• A study by Dr. Oz on Oprah called ‘The Consequences of
America’s “Sitting Epidemic”’
• Americans spend nearly eight hours a day – more than 50
hours a week sitting on their behind
• Don’t blame it on technology instead BeACTIVE encourages
users to use technology to their advantage to find local
activities and events that interest you
• Encouraging users to make their own events
• Allowing them to influence others by joining
• For Business Owners/Event Creators:
• Posting an activity/event on BeACTIVE is simple. Create
an advertisement and include a link to your
company/event page. Users will be able to see your
advertisement on the BeACTIVE calendar page, and if
interested will click on your ad leading them to your
• For Users:
• Individuals can create a profile outlining their Hobbies &
Interests, which will then set up a personal calendar of
the activities/events that correlate to what your Hobbies
& Interests are on your profile.
• It is then up to your discretion how involved with and
how often that person will use BeACTIVE.
• Can we make people feel like a kid again? OF
• BeACTIVE is where people can go to connect with
everything they have an interest in.
• Lost and forgotten hobbies can be sparked again by
way of being aware of what they can do fulfill that
desire. No longer will the working mans weekends
consist of the usual days spent doing the same thing
over and over again. USE BeACTIVE TO GET OUT
THERE AND EXPLORE WHAT YOU CAN DO IN YOUR
AREA EACH NEW DAY!
• Don’t be satisfied with your normal day, find
something new and exciting, and meet fun people!
• Activities/events are tailored on your personal BeACTIVE page by
users selecting their Hobbies & Interests
• BeACTIVE can also recommend activities/events you might be
interested in based on previous events the user attended.
• FOR EXAMPLE:
An individual may have marked down Car Shows as an interest, and
have attended previous Car Shows learned about through BeACTIVE.
Well there may also be a Motorcycle show coming up, and although
that was not marked down as an interest, BeACTIVE will publish this
event on the users personal BeACTIVE calendar to help broaden that
users interests since it fits into the category of automotive enthusiasts.
The hope is that this user could in fact be interested, but would not
have known about it since Motorcycles were not part of that users
interests on their profile, however now that we helped this user
become aware of the event they will potentially attend it.
• This user will hopefully be pleased with our ability to inform him on
a broader category of his interests, and feel as though we really are
concerned with informing him on what he can do to fulfill his desire
to take part in activities/events associated with his interests and
• All events are open to everyone (after Beta
• No restrictions
• Any user can create an event, as long as they set
up an account
• After developing an alpha prototype, we seek funding at a
seed round with approximately $10,000 for 5% ownership for
an initial valuation of $200,000
• Investors only want to hear two plans:
1.) Ultimately go public (IPO)
2.) Sell to a larger company (see: Foursquare)
As such, we plan on selling to a private company within 5-7
years. From there, said company can utilize our customer
base/technology in its future products.
Revenue – derived from paid features (more events) and
advertisements (larger publicity).