RECRUITMENT & RETENTION
Brought to you by the FireGrantsHelp Team
What is SAFER?
(We’re so glad you asked!)
Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response
The goal of SAFER is to assist local fire departments with
staffing and deployment capabilities so they can meet
industry standards for fire response and provide
adequate and timely protection from fire hazards.
SAFER is offered by FEMA and has $340 million available in FY2015 to
support fire departments nationwide!
SAFER Recruitment & Retention
Differs from the SAFER Hiring Program
Funds activities to recruit new and retain
current VOLUNTEER firefighters
Considers projects for individual agencies,
regional consortiums and volunteer firefighter
Oh and by the way – NO MATCH REQUIRED
Who can apply?
• Combination fire departments
• Volunteer fire departments
• National, State, Local, or Tribal
Volunteer Firefighter Interest
What does it fund?
Incentives that encourage volunteer firefighting to
increase the ranks of trained, certified and competent
firefighters in local communities. Examples of eligible costs
• Length of service awards
• Tuition assistance
• Lost wage reimbursement
• Insurance such as disability, health, dental, and life
• Marketing costs to recruit new members
• PPE for New Members
• Grant writing fee
Application Opens: 2/22/2016
Application Deadline: 3/25/2016
Award Notification: anticipate all
notices will be issued by September
Rule #1: Identify the Legal Applicant
• For R&R Applications, this is typically the entity
that controls the budget, vehicle titles and
– Nonprofit volunteer fire department
– Fire Protection District
– City, town, township, county
Obtain the DUNS Number & EIN from your Finance Office
Your DUNS number will look something like this Your EIN will looks something like this
Rule #2: Check SAM Registration
The Legal Applicant must have an active
SAM.gov Entity Record
– When you apply
– When you are awarded
– Throughout the duration of your federal award
If the Legal Applicant is not registered in SAM.gov, ask your
Finance Office to create an Entity Record
Rule # 3: Access the FEMA Portal
Your Organization must have an active FEMA registration
status - you can’t apply to SAFER without one
Has your organization ever received a FEMA grant? Be sure to use
the same Portal Account! (get help if you don’t know or are
Money doesn’t grow on
trees…that’s why we have grants
Rule #4: Know Your Facts
Ask these questions:
• What are your department’s current staffing levels?
• Have you conducted a risk and staffing needs analysis?
• What are your current recruitment and retention
• How can you encourage volunteers to stay with or join
• How will additional firefighters help protect your
Data and facts make for a strong application!
…oh, and get your call data ready!
Now in NFIRS format
(this means different call volume categories)
If you don’t report, that’s OK
(but you’ll need to start if you’re awarded)
What’s NFIRS? The National Fire Incident Reporting System. It may be
called something different in your state (learn more about NFIRS)
You’ll need to describe:
Organization budget for 2015
• How does it compare to budgets
from the last 3-5 years?
• How do revenue and expenses
compare to the budget?
Community & Legal
• How does it impact your
• What other costs or revenue
challenges are straining the
Rule #5: Financial Details Required
If you’re still using one of these to do math,
click for help
Rule #6: Know your Needs
– Does your department meet NFPA Standards
for response time and staffing levels?
– Do you need a marketing plan to recruit new
– Are volunteers leaving because a lack of
incentives and/or benefits?
Rule #7: Understand How Applications are
The review process consists of:
• Computer Scoring – application data is
crunched by a computer
• Peer Review – 2 reviewers read and score your
• Technical Review – FEMA staff checks
administrative items are in order before issuing
tip: Make sure any old AFG, SAFER or FP&S awards are closed out
before you apply!
Rule #8: Plan Accordingly
• Narratives are important BUT your Narratives will only
be read if your application passes Computer Scoring
• The moral of the story: There is no room for error
Still have questions?
We can help!
Our Grant Writers:
• Have a combined 30+ years
of grant writing experience
• Many are active members
of the public safety
• Helped fund more than $75
million in grant awards!
• Have a grant success rate
of 60% higher than the
Use code: SAFER15 before
the end of February to get
15% off grant writing help
To work with the best of the best