Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

EWEB centennial

4,414 views

Published on

The Eugene Water & Electric Board is commemorating its 100th anniversary in 2011. Take a look back at some historic photos from the last century.

Published in: Art & Photos, Business, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

EWEB centennial

  1. 1.
  2. 2. The first meeting of the Eugene Water Board was held on March 11, 1911. The Eugene Water Board later changed its name to the Eugene Water & Electric Board in 1949 to reflect its growing role as a power provider.<br />
  3. 3. Two construction workers pause for a photo while others pour the concrete roof slab of Skinner Butte Reservoir, circa 1926. The reservoir was completed in 1927.<br />
  4. 4. Stone mason George Piero rests on part of his handiwork, the Skinner Butte Reservoir rock walls, during construction of the water-storage facility in 1927.<br />
  5. 5. A section of 30-inch water transmission pipe takes part in a Eugene parade in 1926. The pipe later became part of the transmission system that brought McKenzie River water to Eugene, starting in 1927.<br />
  6. 6. Workers pose for a photo during construction of the Leaburg Power Canal, circa 1929. The canal diverts water from Leaburg Dam to generate electricity at the powerhouse, four miles downstream on the McKenzie River.<br />
  7. 7. Workers install a generator at the Leaburg Power Plant in 1929.<br />
  8. 8. The Leaburg Power Plant was completed in 1929 at a cost of $2 million. The powerhouse began producing electricity in 1930 when Leaburg Dam was completed. Frieze reliefs on the building signify heat, power and light. <br />
  9. 9. Water cascades through the roll gates of the iconic Leaburg Dam, which diverts a portion of the McKenzie River into a 4-mile canal that feeds water to the turbines at the Leaburg Power Plant.<br />
  10. 10. Workers use a truck, chains and wooden skids to pull a 1,250-kilovot transformer into place in 1936 at the steam plant along the Willamette River, just upstream from EWEB’s current headquarters.<br />
  11. 11. The Hayden Bridge Filtration Plant, which treats water from the McKenzie River, was completed in 1950. Today, following several expansions, the plant can treat 80.5 million gallons a day.<br />
  12. 12. EWEB meter readers gather ahead of another day of work, circa 1962.<br />
  13. 13. An EWEB float glides down Willamette Street during a celebratory parade in 1950.<br />
  14. 14. EWEB crews install the downtown electric network (underground) in this undated photo, circa late 1950s. The network remains in place today.<br />
  15. 15. A Columbus Day storm strikes Eugene in 1962, toppling thousands of trees and power lines. EWEB crews work around the clock for five days to restore power. <br />
  16. 16. The Carmen-Smith Hydroelectric Project began operations in 1963 with a generating capacity of 114 megawatts. Gov. Mark Hatfield spoke at the dedication of the project.<br />
  17. 17. EWEB’s display at the Lane County Fair in 1954.<br />
  18. 18. An EWEB line technician shows an interested youth how to climb a power pole at the 1972 Lane County Fair.<br />
  19. 19. EWEB rolled out the 15-horsepower Mars II electric car in the mid-1970s. With a maximum speed of 60 mph, the all-electric vehicle had a range of 70-120 miles on a single charge.<br />
  20. 20. EWEB established its first energy conservation program in 1977. Since its inception, EWEB’s program has helped customers install efficiency improvements that save in excess of 490 million kilowatt-hours each year. These annual savings exceed the combined output of the utility's 6 hydroelectric projects.<br />
  21. 21. EWEB broke ground in 1997 on its first major wind generation project – the Foote Creek Rim Project near Arlington, Wyoming.<br />
  22. 22. EWEB broke ground in 2008 on its Roosevelt Operations Center in west Eugene. About half of EWEB’s employees moved into the facility in late 2010.<br />

×