Using Case Studies
in teaching Engish
By Daniela Munca, PhD
For the ETRC Fall School,
• “Ionel” has recently invested in a mega
project to create new designs and to focus
on a much wider market share – from
young adults to elderly people.
• Several boutiques with the new designs
will be placed in the most visited shopping
places in Chisinau.
• Write a list of 5 shopping sites you would
recommend Ionel and justify your choice.
Include information regarding:
• Location / availability
• Price ranges
• Notoriety among shoppers
• Any other important details
How well do YOU know the
Which, in your opinion, is the most frequently
visited mall in Chisinau?
What influences Moldovan
consumers’ choice most of all?
• Why is Jumbo visited so rarely, even
though it placed on the second place in
the awareness top?
• Moldovan consumers rely heavily on (1)
• Unic (known in the past as the Central
Department Store) and Gemeni (known as
the soviet brand „Детский Мир”) are well
known by local consumers as stores with a
tradition coming from the old days
The prices of products sold in
commercial centers (2)
• Moldovan consumers perceive the prices
in MallDova as high (42%), and accessible
only during sales (24%).
• On the second place in the „expensive
top” is the center Elat: 39% consider its
prices high and 11% believe that they are
only accessible during sales.
Design a contest
• Zorile is planning to launch several new
shoe lines on the Moldovan market.
• You are on the marketing team
• Design a competition which:
• - would increase the company’s
awareness on the local market
• - attract younger clients
• - make the brand stronger in Moldova
How do you evaluate the following
• Compania Zorile lansează pentru tine un concurs neobişnuit! Tot ce
trebuie să faci, e să trimiţi la adresa electronicăinfo@zorile.md o
fotografie cît mai interesantă cu încălţăminte.
• The level of trust in means of information
• Soviet brands of ice-cream are still
preferred by Moldavian consumers
• The internet vs. The elevator... or the
evolution of public attitude towards
advertising channels in Moldova
• How do the Moldovan people fight stress?
• Reading habits and intellectual health in
• 64% of Moldovans declare themselves
happy and only 3% unhappy
• unique, powerful and immediate resource
for teachers and students of Business
• constructed around a key element of the
business studies curriculum.
• uses real information from the sponsoring
• helps students engage and learn
• lesson plans and worksheets
• Learning PowerPoint summaries of the
• MP3 podcasts of the studies
• quizzes, crosswords and word searches
to make learning fun
The Times 100 is useful
• It is produced by and with teachers to ensure it
is focused on the Business Studies curriculum
• the companies who take part understand the
value to students of real examples of business
• the material is presented in different formats
designed to enable all students to make best
use of the material - from the printed page, to
pdf downloads, to the new MP3 podcasts.
• revision quizzes,
• topical news alerts based on companies
making business headlines,
• background information on the companies
who are participating,
• and a glossary of business terms.
Case studies …
• refer to the collection and presentation of detailed
information about a particular participant or small group,
company, organization, brand, phenomenon, etc.
• form of qualitative descriptive research
• look intensely at a sample, drawing conclusions in that
• do not focus on the discovery of a
universal, generalizable truth, nor do they typically look
for cause-effect relationships;
• instead, emphasis is placed on exploration and
Instituted at Harvard Business School
in the 1950s as a primary method of
teaching, cases have since been
used in classrooms and lecture halls
alike, either as part of a course of
study or as the main focus of the
course to which other teaching
material is added.
“ In addition, students are
encouraged to "generate their
own analysis of the problems
under consideration, to develop
their own solutions, and to
practically apply their own
knowledge of theory to these
problems" (Boyce 1993).
• Along the way, students also develop "the
power to analyze and to master a tangled
circumstance by identifying and delineatng
important factors; the ability to utilize
ideas, to test them against facts, and to
throw them into fresh combinationsâ€¦"
students develop skills in analytical thinking
and reflective judgment by reading and
discussing complex, real-life scenarios
• Task based learning
• Active learning
• Project based learning
Basic Rules of using Case
• Start with a real life example using various
• Design a task –ideally pair work or team work
• Foster innovation and creativity
• Integrate such elements as poster making / Venn
diagrams / oral presentations / role playing / etc
• Contrast and Compare using the original case study
• Debriefing: let students express their opinion