LIFE the EU Programme for the Environment and Climate Action – Pat Martin
LIFE the EU Programme for the
Environment and Climate
Dept of Environment, Community and Local Government
LIFE Programme 2014-2020
• Complimentary EU funding programme targeting pilot,
demonstration and best practice projects
• Two sub programmes – environment ( environment and resource
efficiency, nature and biodiversity, governance and information ) and
climate action ( mitigation, adaptation and governance and
• €2.8 billion available with 60% co- financing
• Specific project topics under the environment sub programme
• Climate action – priority topics each year and this year for example
looking for projects proposing innovative solutions across all
sectors for advanced low carbon manufacturing and
processing and recovery of ozone layer and move to low GWP
Is the LIFE Programme a suitable programme
Who can apply?
• SMEs, NGOs, Universities, public bodies. Individuals cannot apply.
What areas can my project cover
• General priorities published by DG Clima annually and published in
Climate Action programme guidelines.
• Proposals that take up the results of environmental and climate-
related research and innovation projects financed by Horizon 2020.
• LIFE is not a suitable fund for research(H2020 a better option).
• What is the average project size?
1 to 5 beneficiaries; EU contribution: €500,000 to €1.5m, 3 to 5
years …but larger and longer projects possible
• Multiannual Work Programme (NB ‘Project Topics’ for Environment
Sub-Programme – make sure your project fits one of the project
• Guidelines for Applicants
• General Conditions/Model LIFE grant agreement
• Evaluation Guidelines
(all available at http://ec.europa.eu/environment/life/funding/life.htm)
Get in touch!
LIFE National Contact Point
EU and International Environment Policy
Department of Environment, Community
& Local Government
Tel: 00353 (0)1 888 2571