Restoration of Urban Blue Acres_Nualgi Pyco-remediation of sewage and lakes
Nano Silica based Micro nutrient
Sewage, Lakes, etc.,
• Bio-remediation : use of bacteria.
• Phyto-remediation : use of plants.
• Phyco-remediation : use of Algae.
Types of Micro-Algae
• Cyano-bacteria / Blue Green Algae.
• Green Algae
• Diatom Algae
• Coccolithophores, etc.
Diatoms vs Other Phytoplankton
– based on our observation and various studies.
• Require less light, due to their
silica cell wall
(10% to 25 % of dry weight) .
• Are consumed by zooplankton
and fish, hence do not
accumulate in tanks and lakes.
• Less dead algae so less
decomposition by bacteria
• Consume less CO2 at night.
• Perhaps use C4 photosynthesis
• have cellulose cell wall and
hence less efficient, since light
does not pass thru cellulose.
• Cyanobacteria are not
consumed by zooplankton and
fish and accumulate in tanks
• Dead algae is decomposed by
• Consume more CO2 at night.
• Use C3 photosynthesis
Photosynthesis requires 16 inputs :
• Sunlight, Carbon dioxide, water,
• Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium (N P K)
• 10 micro nutrients – Iron, Zinc, etc.
In addition to these,
all terrestrial plants use Silica and
Diatom Algae require silica for their shell.
• Nualgi is a product to deliver ALL 10
micro nutrients required by plants and
• The micro nutrients are adsorbed onto
nano silica and sold as liquid in 500 ml
and 1 liter bottles.
Water pollution and
• Excess input of nutrients, Nitrogen and
Phosphate, into lakes is polluting them, the
nutrients come from fertilizer run off from
fields, sewage, animal dung, detergents, etc.
• Farmers use excess amounts of N P K
fertilizer but not enough of micro nutrients.
In many countries N P K fertilizers are
subsidised but micro nutrients are not.
• This has resulted in an nutrient imbalance in
waterbodies and agriculture.
• Nualgi can be used in all waters
- polluted lakes,
- sewage treatment plants,
- intensive aquaculture ponds
- Oceans, etc.
• In agriculture, Nualgi Foliar Spray
provides plants with all 10 micro
nutrients required and also silica.
Schematic diagram of
the process triggered
oxygen to Aerobic
breakdown the organic
matter and these are
consumed by the
these by zooplankton
and these by fish.
Raj Path, Delhi
Pond before and after treatment
• Before - about 125
meter of the pond is
covered with Algae.
• The pond is now
clear of algae
after 3 weeks
Laksar Drain, Uttarakhand
• 16 km long drain from Laksar town to River Ganga,
in Haridwar Dist of Uttarakhand
• Flow is about 200 MLD.
• Mainly sewage, some industrial effluent, irrigation
water runoff, etc.
• Demonstration project under InSitu Bioremedation
initiative of National Mission for Clean Ganga was
given in November 2018.
• All targets were achieved.
• Cost was Rs 1,842 per MLD.
Laksar Drain, Uttarakhand, India
Under Namami Gange project
BOD 61.3 mg/L ≤ 30 mg/L 8.3 mg/L 40% 86.4%
COD 380 mg/L ≤ 150
33.1 mg/L 40% 91.2%
TSS 242 mg/L ≤ 100
20 mg/L 40% 91.7%
DO 1.2 mg/L ≥ 5 mg/L 6 mg/L - -
pH 7.7 6.5 to 9.0 7.72 - -
23.5 cm2 x
58.6 cm2 x
BGA and Diatoms in a beaker
before and after use of Nualgi
• With Blue Green algae • BGA floats and
M V Bhaskar
Kadambari Consultants Pvt Ltd