CONNECTKaro 2015 - Session 10A - Bus Karo - City Bus Services
Bus Karo- City Bus Services
Pawan Mulukutla, EMBARQ India
Status and Trends
• Innovative policy-based initiatives in public transport
• Various pilot reforms to enhance operational
• The growing potential of technology applications
• Wide-reaching and successful strategies in branding
and marketing approaches
• A significant increase in Bus Rapid Transit Systems
and the optimisation of city bus services
BRT in Indore
Initiated • 2007
Length of route • 11.46 km
Road section • 31.6 / 60 metres
System type • Closed
• Median stations
Stations • 21
# of buses • 18
Type of bus • 12 m long with AC
• 900 mm Semi Low Floor
• 245 hp, BS III engine
Completion • 31st March 2013
Operations • 10th May 2013
Ridership • 30,700 pax/day (avg)
Bus Market Size in India
• According to China Bus Industry Report
(2014-2017), large, medium-sized and light
buses sold in China totalled 477,000 units in
• By 2017 the total sales volume of buses
in China will exceed 690,000 units.
• The Indian bus industry is only 10% in size in
comparison to China’s bus industry.
Discussion for Today
• What are the key learnings from the JnNURM program
and what components should be included in new
• How to improve the ecosystem of bus manufacturers to
ensure delivery of huge requirement of buses?
• How to address the gaps and ground challenges in
implementing the ITS technology?
• What are the operation challenges and the performance
of a BRT system ?
• How to address subsidies and taxation policy ?