Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

CONNECTKaro 2015 - Session 7A - GPC A Measurement Tool for Evidence-Based Action

436 views

Published on

Speaker - Mr. Srikanth Shastry, Associate, WRI

Published in: Government & Nonprofit
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

CONNECTKaro 2015 - Session 7A - GPC A Measurement Tool for Evidence-Based Action

  1. 1. Supplement to the Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventories (GPC) SRIKANTH SHASTRY Accounting On-road transportation emissions: A guide for cities
  2. 2. ROAD TRANSPORT EMISSIONS • Globally, cities are responsible for 70% of the total energy-related CO2 emissions • Transportation is responsible for 15-20% of the total urban emissions • Road transport accounts for over 90% of all urban transportation emissions
  3. 3. COMPLEXITY IN ACCOUNTING ROAD TRANSPORTATION EMISSIONS
  4. 4. ACCOUNTING ROAD TRANSPORT EMISSIONS: GPC Scope 1 Scope 2 Scope 3 In-boundary trips X X* Trans-boundary trips X X* X Pass through trips Not accounted
  5. 5. OBJECTIVE OF THIS RESEARCH • Accounting on-road transport emissions: A guide for cities builds on the GPC • Objective: Compare and provide guidance for cities to account transport emissions by any one of the 4 methods suggested by GPC • Developed by comparing the methods using the case study of Bangalore
  6. 6. THE FOUR METHODS FOR ACCOUNTING TRANSPORT EMISSIONS (GPC)
  7. 7. BANGALORE: A PROFILE Population 8.47 million Land area 800 km2 Land use composition Urban development: 600 km2 Green areas: 200 km2 Per capita income $ 1,200 GDP per capita $3,963 Climate Dry tropical savannah climate Road network Exceeds 3000 Kms Total vehicle population 4,171,062. Year 2012
  8. 8. RESULTS
  9. 9. CHOICE OF METHODOLOGY
  10. 10. CLIMATE ACTION: AN EXAMPLE Public Transport 42% Car 7% Two- Wheelers 29% IPT 12% Cycle 2% Walk 8% Public Transport Car Two-Wheelers IPT Cycle Walk Car 8% Two-wheelers 61% IPT 9% Bus 22% Car Two-wheelers IPT Bus Mode shares in Bangalore Emissions from various modes in Bangalore Two Wheelers have a mode share of 29% but contribute 61% to the total passenger vehicle emissions
  11. 11. LOW CLIMATE PLANNING: AN EXAMPLE
  12. 12. CONCLUSIONS • GPC methods require more work to accurately account emissions • Measurement key for focused, ambitious actions • Transport sector inventories: A tool for mobility plans • GPC: A measurement tool for low carbon planning • Measurement and performance tracking: Tools for smart cities
  13. 13. Thank you! sshastry@wri.org

×