Edge Design Configurator Use Your Existing Engineering Excel Spreadsheets to Drive Solid Edge ModelsDeveloped by:www.edainc.net
WHAT IS THE EDGE DESIGN CONFIGURATOR?A crucial link connecting your existing Excel design spreadsheets to Solid Edge models.A configurator generating new Solid Edge parts, assemblies, and drawings – even if users have no Solid Edge experience.An automation tool for creating PDF files, DWG files, DXF, SAT and other manufacturing files.Developed by EDA, Inc.
WHY EXCEL-BASED?No one knows your product better than you do. Most companies already have Excel programs where design rules, options, and calculations are stored. Most engineers are already familiar with Excel: no need to hire consultants or programmers translate design rules into a new program.
HOW DOES IT WORK?This slideshow will show you how easy it is to set up theconfigurator and use it to drive your Solid Edge models. Let’s getstarted… Picture of enclosure Excel sheet here
1. SETTING UP THE SOLID EDGEASSEMBLY If you haven’t already linked the Solid Edge variables table to your Excel spreadsheet, link them. This is built right into Solid Edge and is a great way to control your models using Excel.
2. SETTING UP EXCEL Install the EDA MS-Excel add-in, which looks like this: Add the “CONFIGURATOR” tab anywhere in your existing Excel sheet:
3. LINKING EXCEL TO SOLID EDGE Set two settings on the new Configurator Tab: 1. The existing Solid Edge assembly that the spreadsheet will link to. 2. The folder where the newly configured files will go. You can use a fixed path if you wish, or Excel formulas to set the folder. The program will create folders if they don’t exist yet.
4. CONFIGURATOR COMMANDS TRUE/FALSE statements control each commandUse regular Excellogic, formulas,table lookups,named cells, etc.Command types:Part, Assembly,Drawing, Filecommands All commands go on the new tab “CONFIGURATOR.”
5. CONFIGURE! Modify the product specifications in Excel. Use the EDA toolbar to run the configuration & generate the models.
MODEL & ASSEMBLY COMMANDS Control dimensions values of parts, assembly, and draft files Delete features from parts Delete part and subassemblies from assemblies:
DRAWING COMMANDS Create new drawings Scale, move and delete drawing views in drafts Layer control in draft documents and DXF files
FILE COMMANDS Control the file properties of parts, assemblies, and drafts. Create DXF, SAT, PDF, and other files for manufacturing & customers. Delete unnecessary files.
EDA SERVICES Prepping Solid Edge models for the configurator. Establishing product design rules and validation in Excel. Developing new Solid Edge routines specific to your company’s processes. Developing a web interface for the configurator. Integration with company web-ordering or MRP systems. Development of a turn-key system.
THE WRAP-UP:Edge Design Configurator: A crucial link between existing Excel design spreadsheets and Solid Edge models. Does not require programming. Retain design knowledge in existing Excel spreadsheets. Configure & design in minutes. Non-Solid Edge users can create SE models and drawings. Supported by a team of design automation experts. A customizable, scalable solution.
ENGINEERING DESIGN AUTOMATION, INC.Design automation solutions for over 20 years. Web-Based Configurator for Solid Edge Excel-Based Configurator for Solid Edge Parts List Updater (Solid Edge to Excel) Batch processing apps for Solid Edge filesQuestions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.edainc.net Phone: (360) 398-1319 YouTube: EngDesignAutomation Twitter: @eda_usa