Task design: tips & tricks
Adapt tasks to include/address actual topics
Protocol: declaration of own work
Include mandatory components (articles, personal interview)
Recent references only
Annotated bibliography (summary, location, relevance)
Various degrees of seriousness
Proof vs. suspicion
Sanction vs. educate
Combine behavioural (punishment) and developmental sanctions.
Developmental activities: help raise students awareness, writing a
journal, develop ethical decision-making (capacity to resolve dilemmas).
Engage in dialogue
Rogerson, A. M. (2017). Detecting contract cheating in
essay and report submissions: process, patterns, clues
and conversations. International Journal for
Educational Integrity, 13(1), 10
Image: 'Question Finger 1' http://www.flickr.com/photos/146303603@N04/32373605563 Found on flickrcc.net
• Baron, J., & Crooks, S. M. (2005). Academic integrity in web based distance education. TechTrends, 49(2), 40–45.
• Grijalva, T. C., Nowell, C., & Kerkvliet, J. (2006). Academic honesty and online courses. College Student Journal, 40(1).
• Jones, D. L. R. (2011). Academic dishonesty: are more students cheating? Business Communication Quarterly, 74(2), 141–150.
• Jurdi, R., Hage, H.S. & Chow, H.P.H. (2012). What behaviours do students consider academically dishonest? Findings from a survey of
Canadian undergraduate students. Soc Psychol Educ (2012) 15, 1-23.. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11218-011-9166-y
• Kanat-Maymon, Y., Benjamin, M., Stavsky, A., Shoshani, A., & Roth, G. (2015). The role of basic need fulfilment in academic dishonesty: A
self-determination theory perspective. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 43, 1–9. http://doi.org/10.1016/J.CEDPSYCH.2015.08.002
• McClung, E. L., & Schneider, J. K. (2015). A Concept Synthesis of Academically Dishonest Behaviors. Journal of Academic Ethics, 13(1), 1–
• Rogerson, A. M. (2017). Detecting contract cheating in essay and report submissions: process, patterns, clues and conversations.
International Journal for Educational Integrity, 13(1), 10. http://doi.org/10.1007/s40979-017-0021-6
• Stephens, J. M. (2015). Creating Cultures of Integrity: A Multi-level Intervention Model for Promoting Academic Honesty. In T. A. Bretag
(Ed.), Handbook of Academic Integrity (pp. 1–10). Singapore: Springer Singapore. http://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-287-079-7_13-1
• de Volder, M., Moerkerke, G., & de Roode, F. (2007). Een 5D strategie tegen werkstukfraude. Heerlen.