[EMC-LM 2nd convention] MOOCs for in-company-training by Christian Friedl
Convention on European MOOCs and the labour market
19 February 2021
MOOCs for in-company-training (sector – individual companies) Employer’s
perspective on flexible online education and MOOCs for sustainable
employability and innovation
Senior Lecturer & researcher on innovation & edupreneurship at FH Joanneum
Project coordinator Corship-Corporate Edupreneurship; BizMOOC-MOOCs for
the world of business & Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Austria
MOOCs & in-company-training: some research…
• Friedl (2021 – under review). Stimulating intrapreneurial intentions with digital training: the potential of Massive Open Online
Courses. Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research.
• Zur & Friedl (2021 – under review). Workplace learning, the adoption of technology and Massive Open Online Courses –
evidence from Europe. European Research Studies Journal.
• Deimann & Friedl (2020). Machen MOOCs Karriere (MOOCs as career-driver)? Eine praxisnahe Reflexion über Erfahrungen von
Unternehmen. Wiesbaden: Springer Gabler.
• CORSHIP Report 1.1c (2019). Micro-Credentials in EU and global https://www.corship.eu/research-insights
• CORSHIP Report 1.1b (2019). Corporate Entrepreneurship online educational offers https://www.corship.eu/research-insights
• Friedl & Farrow (2019). Massive Open Online Courses for Business Learning, open textbook
• Żur, Karwiński, Friedl & Jansen (2018). BizMOOC R4.2 – joint evaluation report on three Pilot MOOCs. http://bizmooc.eu/wp-
• Friedl & Staubitz (2018) Corporate MOOC trends, in: Jansen, D., and Konings, L. (eds.). The 2018 OpenupEd Trend Report on
MOOCs. Maastricht: EADTU, pp. 35–38.
• Friedl, Staubitz & Jansen (2018). Flexible, self-directed and bottom-up: are employees overtaking their human resource
departments with MOOCs? In: Learning with MOOCs conference proceedings. Madrid: IEEE.
• Friedl & Zur (2018). The first MOOC on Intrapreneurship: How to successfully inspire 2,951 online learners from 98 countries
with entrepreneurial thinking. In: Remenyi, R. (eds) 4th Teaching Innovation and Entrepreneurship Excellence Awards 2018.
An Anthology of Case Histories, Reading: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited, pp. 61–78.
On the downside
• mismatch between a general positive
attitude and a still low adoption
rates compared to the offer
• wrong expectations, as well as major
reservations from some
• Employees still ahead of employers
On the upside
• MOOCs (and MCs) on the rise within corporate
training: small the next big thing
• Bottom-up AND top-down
• MOOCs & MCs door-opener for digital
Some examples… Intrapreneurship MOOC on openSAP
In which ways can MOOCs stimulate intrapreneurial intentions on individual-
• Largest increase in perceived behavioral control
(+ 28%), especially knowledge-related items > EDUTAINMENT – OR
• Increases in intentions and attitude, although high at course start and
perceived to be more stable > MOOC also a massive PRE-SELECTION
Some examples… Co-innovation MOOC on
• MOOC for open innovation, to connect ecosystem actors
• With follow-up MC for a dedicated deep-dive
• Co-development of course by 7 industry and academic partners
from 6 EU countries
Research on-going (surveys, focus groups):
• Highly active community: pandemic, topic or design?
• Stimulation of digital entrepreneurial ecosystem > LinkedIn Group,
co-creation of book
• Investigation of individual career pathways, long-term impact