Take it Seriously
• Online has ceased to be an interesting
extra activity for a business
• It needs to be a central strategic tool for
your business on two fronts:
• These two need to work together
Know what you are
• How do your deﬁne your product?
• What is the experience you offer?
• What choice do you offer?
• What makes you unique?
• What is your value?
• By identifying these points of difference you
will start to develop key messages about
your business and these are going to be
used again and again in the content you
use, the search terms you leverage and the
social media you engage in.
• These deﬁnitions will help you:
• Structure your content
• Create messages to communicate
• Identify terms your potential customers
will be searching for online
• Identify conversation about similar content
in social media groups that you can join and
Know who you are
• Can you describe and proﬁle your typical
client- or the one you’d like to have?
• Are you selling to more than one type of
• Are you using a single marketing technique to
sell to all types of clients?
• Where do they live?
• What is their family like?
• Where do they work?
• How do they have fun?
• What media do they consume?
• What are they likely to be searching for or
talking about and how do they express it?
• Keep it short: Posts with less than 250
characters (less than 3 lines) receive 60%
• Be visual: Photos and video receive up to
180% more engagement
• Post often (4-5 times per week)... But not
It’s a beautiful day at Acme Hotel
Having a great breakfast at Acme Hotel-
we have cereal
A guest just said they love Acme Hotel!
What shall we have for lunch at Acme
Look at this picture of a Kitten- bet it
wishes it was at Acme Hotel
Here’s the sunset from the Acme Hotel
It’s dark outside at Acme Hotel
• Be sure to include a clear FB link from your
website and a Like Button
• FB address on all promo material, business
cards and email signatures
• Make your customers fans
• Encourage them to be a fan in follow up
How It Works
• Set up an account with your @name
• Compose 140 character sentences
(including links via URL shorteners)
• Post them
• Other users can follow you- and you can
choose who you want to follow
• To follow somebody is to subscribe to their
• A tweet is an individual message
• A DM or direct message is a private message
• RT or retweet is to repost a valuable message
from somebody else on Twitter and give them
• Trending topics are the most-discussed terms
on Twitter at any given moment
• @username is a public message to or about
an individual on Twitter
• A hashtag–the # symbol followed by a term
and included in tweets–is a way of
categorizing all the posts on a topic
• Shortened URLs.To ﬁt links into the short
messages,Twitter shrinks some URLs down
automatically- but URL shortening sites can
be used: bit.ly goo.gl
A Media Tool
• Twitter is unlikely to win you a ﬁrst time
• More than anything it is a media channel
• Keep past customers loyal
• Use it as a Press Release Tool
• Often used a ‘wire service’
• Great for B2B networking
• It’s easy to do and very addictive
• Excellent realtime promotional tool
• Get direct realtime feedback
• Get new ideas, products and meet new
Too Many to Follow?
• Use HootSuite or Tweetdeck
• Tweet from multiple accounts
• Schedule your tweets
• Keep a tally of questions answered, customer
problems resolved and positive exchanges
• Embed twitter widgets in your website
• Track your tweet statistics
• …and much more… for free!
• Linked in is a Business Networking
• 120 Million Users
• Excellent B2B tool for meeting, networking
and sourcing information and advice from
• Fantastic SEO value for your name, website
and links (blogs)
• Create and Manage your proﬁle
• Who is going to manage it all?
• Try and have everyone contribute
• Create a basic social media policy- sticking
to key messages, who says what etc
• Bring in some young people- students,
Make the Change
• Begin to shift business online- increasing
allocations to online bookings
• Begin a progressive marketing shift with
25% of budgets, human resource and time
• As you grow- appoint a social media and