And thus We have made you a community of themiddle way, so that you may be witnesses [to theTruth] before all mankind, and the Messenger may bewitness [to it] before you (al-Baqarah 2: 143)O believers, be ever steadfast in standing up, for thesake of God, bearing witness to justice (al-Maidah 5:8)
• You have been given Divine guidance,• You have been shown the Truth.• You must, therefore, establish by your testimonyand witness its authenticity and truthfulnessbefore all mankind• Messengers were sent to the world; this was theirprimary duty.• After them, their followers were entrusted withthe same duty
• Man has been made accountable for his conduct• He will be rewarded and punished in the Hereafterunder the Divine Law which rests entirely on thiswitness.• We sent all Messengers as heralds of glad tidings andas warners, so that men may not have any argumentagainst God, after [the coming of] these Messengers;God is indeed All-mighty, All-wise (al-Nisa 4: 165)
• Ummah has the same crucial role andresponsibility as the Prophets• If the Ummah properly fulfills its duty of witnessingto the Truth and yet the people do not pay heed, itwill be rewarded and the people will be brought toaccount• If the Ummah neglects its duty, or if it gives falsewitness, it will deserve to be punished moreseverely than the people• Ummah shall be accountable not only for its ownmisdeeds, but also for the misdeeds of those whowent astray
• Why has man been placed on earth?• We have made all that is on earth an adornment forit, and so that we might test which of them is best inconduct (al-Kahf 18: 7)• What is the meaning and purpose of mans life?• And I have not created Jinn and mankind except toserve and worship Me. I desire of them noprovision, neither do I desire that they should feed Me(al-Dhariyat 51: 5S7)
• Mans earthly life must be judged. He must give anaccount of his conduct, and he must face theconsequences of how he lives his life• And We shall set up just balance-scales on ResurrectionDay, and no human being shall be wronged anything;even if it be the weight of a mustard-seed, We shallbring it forth, and sufficient are We as reckoners (al-Anbiya 21: 47)
• Through our speech and writing, we shouldproclaim and explain Islam to the world• Islam gives complete guidance in thought andbelief, in morality, in culture and civilization, ineconomics and business, in jurisprudence andjudiciary, in politics and civil administration• We must establish its truth and soundness, byrational discourse and convincing evidence• We must commit all our hearts and minds, all ofour resources, to this cause
• Warning (indhar)• Bringing glad tidings (tabshir)• Inviting and calling (dawah)• Communicating (tabligh)• Teaching and instructing (talim)• Conveying and propagating (tilawah).
• Let our lives speak the truth• Let the world taste in our conduct, individual andcollective, that sweetness which only the faith inOne God can impart to character and morality• Our actions must show how every aspect of life isset right, developed and enriched• Principles and teachings which Islam proclaims tobe true are indeed true, and that they do improvethe quality of human life and raise it to better andhigher levels.
• Establishing Islam (Iqamatu d-din)• Making Gods guidance and way of life prevail overall others (Izhar)• Establishing justice (Qist)• Enjoining right and forbidding wrong (Amar BilMaroof and Nahi Anil Munkar)• Jihad or struggle
• Our Word-witness• Witness of our landlords- The Islamic law ofinheritance is wrong• Witness of our lawyers and judges- All the laws ofIslam are bad laws, and that their very basis thesovereignty of God is unacceptable• Witness of our teachers-Only true and valid knowledgeis that derived from the secular view• Witness of our writers- their literature has the samemessage to impart as that of the secular writers• Witness of our media-best standards ofcommunication are those which bear the hallmark ofthe secular media.
• Life of a typical, ordinary Muslim-in respect of allimmoral actions, the level of Muslim performance isno less than that of any secular person• Witness of our social life-our customs, ourfestivities, our fairs, religious gatherings, ourmeetings, processions: in no aspect do we trulyrepresent Islam• Our educational institutions- import everything fromsecular models• When we launch a struggle, our cause, our slogans anddemands, our issues and debates, our programs andprocedures, our resolutions, statements, and
• We are guilty of giving false witness, of perjury andconcealing the truth• We are facing precisely the same punishment thathas been prescribed in the Law of God for suchgrave crime• When a people reject and turn away from Godsguidance, when they are guilty of disloyalty to theirCreator, and when they turn traitors to Him, thenGod punishes them severely in this world as well asin the world-to-come
• And who is a greater wrong-doer than he whosuppresses a witness entrusted to him by God (al-Baqarah 2: 140)• Look at the history of the people of Israel. Whengiven this task, they became witnesses to falsehoodrather than witnesses to the Truth.And so, humiliation and powerlessness afflictedthem, and they earned Gods anger.(2:61)
• Those who conceal the clear messages and the guidancethat We have sent down, after We have made themclear, for mankind, in the Book they shall be cursed by Godand the cursers; (2: 159).• Indeed, those who conceal what God has sent down in theBook, and barter it away for a trifle price they eat nothingbut fire in their bellies 2:174
• Cursed were the disbelievers among the Children ofIsrael by the tongue of David, and Jesus, the son ofMary; this, because they rebelled [against God] andpersisted in transgression. They did not prevent oneanother from the wrongs they committed. Surely evilwere the things they did(al-Maidah 5: 78-9).
• You have the Divine guidance. You neither benefit fromit yourselves nor allow others to benefit from it.• By calling yourselves Muslims, you are Islamsrepresentatives. The combined witness of your wordsand deeds is being given mostly in favor ofmaterialism, and immorality and against Islam.•• O ye who believe! why do you say that which you donot do? Grievously odious is it in the sight of Allah thatyou say that which ye do not do. (Saff,61:2-3)
• You have the Book of God with you, but you haveput it on the shelf. In order to seek guidance, youturn to persons who lead you to Kufr, and tosources which lead you astray• You claim to be the servants of the One God, but infact you are serving every false god and everypower in rebellion against God.• You have friends and enemies, but it is always yourpersonal, selfish interests that determine yourfriendship and enmity
Answers to this excuse-• All the commandments of Allah (SWT) are to beobeyed.• No one can divide them into necessary andunnecessary.• We have pledged to surrender to Allah’s (SWT)complete obedience.• Therefore we can not fulfill this pledge by obeyingpart of Deen and leaving aside the other part.
• This is indeed an objective of this Ummah but presentcircumstances are not suitable for it any where. Thereis no possibility of its success• Answers to this excuse1-Prophets started their work without the discussion ofcircumstances or the possibility of successTherefore expound openly what thou art commandedand turn away from those who join false gods with Allah.(Hijr, 14:94)
• 2. We are required to make utmost effort for thisobligation even though one person did not accepthis message• 3. Allah (SWT) has promised his help for thosewho engage in the struggleOn no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. (Baqarah, 2:286)Allah will certainly aid those who aid His (cause); for verily Allah is Full of StrengthExalted in Might (Able to enforce His Will). Hajj, 22:40
• Answers to this excuse:• 1-It is an obligation from Allah (SWT) and personsare to fulfill it according to their own abilities andlimitations as is mentioned above• 2. There is no place for despair or hopelessnessdue to our weaknesses or circumstances. We are toput our trust in Allah (SWT) and carry out our task.• 3-We are to emulate and follow the examples ofProphets and companions as the source ofinspiration and not reason for abandoning theobligation
1- This is an obligation from Allah (SWT) then we cannot delay our action dependent upon someone else’saction.2.If other’s performance in this way is less thanideal, that does not justify for anyone to sit back andjust criticize. We are accountable for our deeds.So announce the Good News to My Servants. Those who listen to theWord and follow the best (meaning) in it: those are the ones whomAllah has guided and those are the ones endued with understanding.Zumar, 39:17, 18
Iman or beliefIkhlas orsincerityIbadah orritual worshipCompleteObedience toAllahDawah inFamilyDawah toMuslimsDawah NonMuslimsOrganization EmpowermentSacrifice
The Prophet believed in what had been revealed to him from his Lord as do the menof faith. Each one (of them) believed in Allah His angels His books and His Apostles"We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His Apostles." Andthey say: "We hear and we obey; (We seek) Thy forgiveness Our Lord and to Thee isthe end of all journeys.” Baqarah,2: 285The answer of the Believers when summoned to Allah and His Apostlein order that He may judge between them is no other than this: theysay "We hear and we obey": it is such as these that will attain felicity.
Verily it is we who have revealed the Book to thee in Truth: so serve Allah offeringHim sincere devotion. Zumar, 39:2Say: Will ye dispute with us about Allah seeing that He is our Lord and your Lord;that we are responsible for our doings and ye for yours; and that we are sincere (inour faith) in Him? Baqarah, 2:138And there is the type of man who gives his life to earn the pleasure of Allah; andAllah is full of kindness to (His) devotees.(Baqarah, 2: 207)
And they have been commanded no more than this: to worship Allah offering Himsincere devotion being true (in faith); to establish regular Prayer; and to practiceregular Charity; and that is the Religion Right and Straight. (Bayyinah, 5:98)Islam is that you should testify that there is no deity save Allah and that Muhammadis His Messenger, that you should perform Salah (ritual prayer), pay the Zakah(alms), fast during Ramadan, and perform Hajj (pilgrimage) to the House (the Kabahat Makkah), if you can find a way to it. (Part of Hadith Jibril:Muslim)
Verily, Allah has made duties obligatory, so do not neglect them; andHe has set limits, so do not transgress them; and He has remainedsilent concerning things as mercy for you, not out of forgetfulness, sodo not search them out. (Al-Daraqutani 4316, Grade: Sahih)
O ye who believe! save yourselves and your families from aFire whose fuel is Men and Stones over which are(appointed) angels stern (and) severe who flinch not (fromexecuting) the Commands they receive from Allah but do(precisely) what they are commanded. Tahreem, 66:6And admonish thynearest kinsmen.(Shu’ara26:214)
• Borne in Muslim families or they have reverted toIslam as their way of life who are unaware of or justneglecting their Islamic obligations.• There are others among Muslims who callthemselves progressive and talk about “makingchanges in Islam to adjust to modern age”.• There are those who are loosing their Islamiccharacter and values and sometimes even basicbeliefs• It is an obligation upon conscientious Muslims toremind them of true Islamic teachings and struggleto keep them on the path of Islam
The believer men and women are protectors of oneanother: they enjoin what is just and forbid what isevil: they observe regular prayers pay their Zakat andobey Allah (SWT) and his Prophet (SAW). Allah (SWT)shall shower his mercy upon them.Verily, Allah(SWT) is mightiest and wise. Taubah, 9:
• Prophet (SAW) said, “When someone amongst you seesan evil, he should remove it with hand. If he is not able todo so, then he must speak against it. If he can’t dothat, then he must abhor it in his heart. This is the lowestlevel of Iman.” Muslim
• There is no better patriotism or loyalty to this land than toconvey the formula of success, Al Islam to our fellowcountrymen.• As a result of lack of proper divine guidance and imbalancedthinking, society is facing host of socio economic and moralproblems. Islam has the answers to all these complexproblems.• If Muslims do not come forward and share the guidance ofIslam to offer the true solutions to these problems, theirgenerations will eventually be afflicted with same ailments.• America with its vast land, resources, material and militarypower is influencing most of the world. If true guidance ofIslam is not taken here seriously, then it could continue to goon a downhill course and lead the others same way.
• If others in the global community are led astray due tothis negative influence, then Muslims will not beexonerated if they did not fulfill their responsibility• If our fellow citizens face the chastisement of Allah(SWT) on the Day of Judgment for shirk andatheism, they will have the right to complain that theywere not told about Tauhid, Iman and how to succeedin the hereafter.• God forbid, if a chastisement of Allah (SWT) comesdue to following path of His disobedience, then noone will be spared. Muslims and their generationsliving here will be receiving the wrath as well.• All the Prophets of Allah (SWT) from Noah toMohammad (SAW) came to bring people from thedarkness of Kufr and Shirk to the light of Islam. LastProphet of Allah (SWT) carried out the same mission.
Alif Lam Ra. A Book which We have revealed unto thee in order thatthou might lead mankind out of the depths of darkness into light bythe leave of their Lord to the Way of (Him) Exalted in Power Worthy ofall Praise! Ibrahim, 14:1Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is goodenjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong; they are the onesto attain felicity. Ale Imran, 3:104.
• Witness to mankind can not be carried out in aneffective way just with individual efforts.• Those who realize this mission and are willing tofulfill it must come together in the form of aJama’ah or organization.• That is why we find instructions in Quran andSunnah of our Holy Prophet (SAW) stressing uponMuslims to be united and have their Ameer.• Ameer is to be obeyed and honored.• Struggle is to be carried out in a well planned andmethodical way under the guidance of Ameer.
O ye who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Apostleand those charged with authority among you.(Nisa, 4:59)And hold fast all together by the rope which Allah(stretches out for you) and be not divided amongyourselves. Ale Imran, 2:103
• Prophet (SAW) said:• 1.When three of you travel together, make one ofyou as your Ameer. (Mishkat)• 2.Allah’s (SWT) hand is upon the Jama’ah.• 3.Whoever stayed aloof from this Jama’ah evenequal to one hand, he removed ring of Islam fromhis neck. (Tirmizi)
• Influence and empowerment are essential elements to exhibit true benefits andblessings of Islam for the society.• These are to be achieved through peaceful, methodical, planned steps within thelegal bounds in a democratic society.• In free democratic society tools of empowerment include :1. Means of communicating ideas ( media)2- Academic institutions which develop scholars and intellectuals,3- Think tanks which come up with new policy ideas good for future of this land,4- Political action5- Business and trade institutions,6- Social service institutions and technology.Muslims in America have to take all these steps towards empowerment
• We must come up with both human and financialresources to develop academic institutions anduniversities like Princeton and Oxford.• In these institutions, we must have the best mindsboth from Muslim and non Muslim community.• They should study Islam and contemporaryAmerican society• They should come up with solutions of theproblems this society faces in the light of Islam.
• We must establish influential think tanks inWashington• They must be staffed by the best thinkers andfuture forecasters- both Muslims and non Muslims.• They should come up with policy papers in the lightof Islam• They should write what is best for America and theglobal community
• We need to train our youngsters in print, electronicmedia and social media.• They should have the knowledge and the truemoral values of Islam.• They should also be best equipped with moderntechniques of writing and communicating to theAmerican public.
• We need to plan and establish financial and tradeinstitutions in America based on non interestprinciple.• We will need experts from Muslim community inthese fields.• We need to develop credible and trustworthybusiness enterprises where people- both Muslimsand non Muslims can invest without any doubt orfear.• Such institutions then will finance other endeavorsmentioned which obviously require tremendousamount of capital.
• Social and human service is a prominent feature wesee in the life of our Prophet (SAW).• He was truly a mercy to the universe.• He was kind, forgiving and helpful even to those whowere his enemies, regardless of their socialstatus, position in the society or wealth.• Shelters for homeless, soup kitchens, shelters forchildren and battered women, free clinics for the needysick patients, food banks and clothes distributioncenters are to be established• In case of natural disasters like hurricanes andearthquakes, emergency assistance camps are to bearranged.
• 1. Political awareness. Muslim community is to beeducated concerning the democratic process inAmerica, their rights and obligations and thesignificance of political participation forempowerment.• 2. Voter registration. Efforts are to be made for100% voter registration for all Muslim citizens.
• 3. Participation in political parties and localelections. Muslim registered voters mustparticipate in local political activities and elections.This may involve supporting right candidates orMuslim candidates to seek political offices whereverpossible and practical.• 4. Participation at the State and Nationalelections. Organized efforts are to be made toparticipate in the state elections and nationalelections. Again, this may require supportingcandidates who favor issues of concern for Muslimsand are good for America. We should also prepareMuslim candidates to participate in these elections.
• This work requires lot of patience andsteadfastness.• There could be lot of obstacles and hardships in theway which may bring test of will power.• It will require some sacrifice of time and resources.• It is the love for this mission, desire to seek thepleasure of Allah (SWT) and success in theHereafter which provides the constant motivationand drive under any and all adverse circumstancesto continue the struggle.
• Prophet Mohammad (SAW) and his companions wentthrough very trying times.• They were ridiculed, persecuted and then driven out oftheir own homes.• They were chased out of their towns and thenthreatened with force.• They were forced to defend themselves and theirfamilies.• However, nothing could stop them from carrying outtheir mission which was dear to them.• They continued their efforts till they fulfilled theirobligation as true witnesses of Islam to the knownworld.