• A crystalline solid is a solid in which the atoms bond with each other in a
regular pattern to form a periodic collection (or array) of atoms.
• All crystals can be described in terms of a lattice and a basis.
• A lattice is an infinite periodic array of geometric points in space, without
• An identical group of atoms (or molecules), called a basis, at each lattice
point, we obtain the actual crystal structure.
• Crystalline materials are solids with an atomic structure based on a regular
• The majority of all solids are crystalline.