• Just what is the Internet?
• It is a source of information
• Written communication
• Social networks
But the Internet is relatively new…
• Watch the brief history here:
We have come a long way
• From B drive floppy to
• I phones, tablets and other portable devices.
• While having the world at your fingertips is an
extraordinary achievement and a wonderful
convenience, you must exercise caution while
you are online.
• The Internet is an information source, not only
for you, but for everyone…and let’s face it, not
everyone uses it for noble purposes.
• There are many ways that people like you and
I can protect ourselves from the many threats
on the Internet.
• Before we talk about these, let’s look at some
scams and other problems that we may
• There are people out there who prey on
innocent victims. This ranges from bullying to
cyber crimes, including abduction and sex
• Let us look at the Christina Long story and
look for ways that she could have protected
• This is another form of predation where the
predator works on convincing the victim to
meet them in person.
• The predators ALWAYS LIE about their age
• They manipulate the person into believing lies
about their lives.
• They may kidnap, rape or even murder their
Think you know?
• Cyber bullying is one of the causes of teen
suicide because of its easy method of delivery
to thousands in a matter of minutes!
• But how can a person prevent this from
happening to themselves?
• Follow the rules!
• Many of you have received email messages
telling you that you have won some money or
perhaps you received one that tells you there
is an inheritance waiting for you if you will
send your personal information to the
“lawyer” who sent you the email.
• I Pad
• Craig’s List
• The list goes on.
• You need to learn how to protect yourself
• Make a list of rules to follow so you avoid