Post-Recession Strategies for Recruiting the Best Talent
Post-Recession Strategiesfor Recruiting the Best TalentPresented by:
Need a clear sign the economyhas officially turned the cornerinto economic recovery? Morepeople are now quitting theirjobs than are being fired or laidoff for the first time since 2008.“Resignations generallyoutnumber layoffs in a healthyeconomy,” according to JohnWohlford, an economist withthe Bureau of Labor Statistics.“During recessions, people arehesitant to quit because jobsare scarce.”
As the economyrecovers, companies withhiring freezes are beginningto thaw out their hiringplans.The competition for the bestand brightest will startheating up as employersstart tapping the job marketat the same time.
Hopefully you can head offsome of the competition with awell-planned employeeretention strategy, but someturnover will be unavoidable.That means it’s time to dust offyour recruiting strategy andget ready to participate in thetalent war.Here are six steps to helpyou recruit the mosttalented employees.
1. Put it on paperIdentify which positions yourcompany needs to fill anddevelop job descriptions forthose positions.While you’re putting pen topaper, identify five to tencharacteristics your idealcandidate would possess.
2. Use yourwebsiteApproximately 90% of jobseekers report that they go toa company’s website beforeapplying for a job. Make sureyour website tells visitorsabout your corporate valuesand why your company isunique. In short, make thecandidates who visit yourwebsite think, “This companyis for me!”
3. Connect withsocial mediaCreate career pages on theleading social networks likeFacebook, Twitter andLinkedIn.With more than 535 millionusers of just these threenetworks, social media is agreat tool for both sourcingand vetting candidates.
4. Try mobilerecruitingA recent study predictsthat more people will accessthe internet from mobiledevices than from computersby 2015.Mobile recruiting mayinclude creating a mobileversion of your career site,sending text messages tocandidates and interactiveQuick Response (QR) codeson job postings.
5. Ask for referralsAn employee referral programcan help you lower recruitingcosts as well as find passivecandidates. Referrals fromexisting employees alsotend to be more talented,having already beenscreened to some degree bythe person referring them.After all, a poor referral willreflect badly on both thecandidate and the employeewho referred them.
6. ConsideroutsourcingThe most crucial part offinding the right employee isthe face-to-face interview.The rest of the recruiting processmay be too time consuming;robbing you of time to focuson your core competencies.Recruiting and staffing firmsspecialize in these skills and arededicated to finding you the rightpeople. They may evencomplete the sourcing andrecruiting process faster andcheaper than you could.
Finding the right people tomake and keep yourcompany great starts withan effective recruiting plan.Doherty Staffing Solutionscan help you recruit newemployees while you focuson your business.For more information onrecruiting strategies, contactDoherty Staffing Solutions.“Those that build greatcompanies understand thatthe ultimate throttle ongrowth is not markets,technology or competition.It’s one thing above allothers: the ability to get andkeep enough of the rightpeople.”-- Jim Collins, Good to Great