Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Our goal is designing based on user needs
• What are users trying to accomplish?
• What are their metrics of success?
• Who are they?
Many ways of determining user needs
• User testing and interviews
• Data analysis (eg Mozilla Test Pilot & Telemetry)
• Focus groups
• Contextual inquiry
• Eye-Tracking studies/observational studies
• Analyzing feedback
User experience design at Mozilla
began after Firefox
First “user experience” at Mozilla
hackers creating a browser for, well, them
(and this is awesome)
“Scratching an itch”is important for Mozilla,
open source, hacking culture
So, we’re open source.
We like scratching our itches.
But we also need coherent design for our
millions of users.
“I love tabs!”
“Everyone uses tags,
“My mom doesn’t
“OpenID is the future!”
“Nobody uses the
“There should be
a preference setting.” “Add support for
“I only use keyboard
“Add support for
“The profile manager
should be redesigned.”
“Closebuttons are better at
the end of the tabstrip.”
“The URL bar should
“This looks too
much like Chrome!”
• Have add-on infrastructure to explore new ideas
• Elevate contributors who know what they’re doing
• Focus on design principles